Bethany's Reviews > What Happened to Goodbye

Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: stand-alone-novels, realistic-fiction
Recommended for: Lovers of Stephanie Perkins
Read from November 22 to December 05, 2011

First of all, Sarah Dessen is one of those authors whose books I see at the library and bookstores all the time, but have never quite had enough of an urge to pick one up and check it out. The fluffy, cutesy bookcovers don't generally stop me in my tracks. Such was the case with What Happened to Goodbye. However, I try and give authors a chance, especially if I've seen their books all over the place....I get curious as to the hype. So, when I was looking for something to read and saw this book displayed at my local library, I decided to give Dessen a chance. I am so glad that I did.

I read a lot more fantasy Ya than I do contemporary. But I really love a good contemporary fic novel. This book was exactly that for me.

The only reason this book did not get that fifth star from me was because A) The climax of the book was not all that climactic, in my opinion, and B) I am not a huge fan of storytelling flash-back style, which this had a lot of. But the good things that I adored far outweigh the negatives.

I loved the characters. Our main character, Mclean made a lot of sense to me. It was well explained why she was the way she was. I loved Dave. I like that there wasn't all these complicated layers to him, he was simple and very likeable and a boy that any mother would LOVE! And I really loved Deb, she was a great character who helped to balance Mclean's sometimes LACK of personality.

The relationship with Mclean and her dad was really sweet. I liked that Mclean took care of him, but not quite to the Bella Swan extent.

I thought this book was a really great story of self discovery and realizing what things are really important and worth fighting for. It was fun and funny and I immensely enjoyed going along with Mclean on her journey.

And I will definitely read more of Sarah Dessens work! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Goodbye.