Allie Riley's Reviews > Nights at the Circus

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter

This was just stunning. Take the bawdiness and vocabulary of Music Hall, add a dash of Classics, a soupcon of feminism, give it a good shake and season with a touch of je ne sais quoi and you have "Nights at the Circus". Truly a folk tale for grown-ups, the character of Fevvers will linger for a long time after you have finished turning the pages. She is strong, clever, funny, outrageous and truly wonderful. We never find out the veracity of her claims, but it doesn't matter. And I, for one, would rather believe. Fabulous. And now I feel that I need to read everything that Carter ever wrote.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nights at the Circus.

February 20, 2013 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
May 7, 2018 – Started Reading
May 7, 2018 – Shelved
May 7, 2018 –
page 7
2.0% "It makes so much sense that Sarah Waters wrote the introduction for this. Even though this is my first Carter and even though I'm only a few pages in, I can see the influence on Waters' work."
page 40
page 56
page 68
page 114
page 130
page 147
42.0% "When I was a child, I often had a dictionary to hand as I read. As I grew older, it became less and less necessary. I remember thinking novels couldn't really be that difficult if they didn't expand my vocabulary. Angela Carter has renewed that habit for me as an adult. Practically every other word has some lexical revelation. I love it!"
page 220
62.86% "So close to the end of part two, but I was falling asleep so had to admit defeat."
page 278