Tanya (mom's small victories)'s Reviews > How We Work: Live Your Purpose, Reclaim Your Sanity, and Embrace the Daily Grind

How We Work by Leah  Weiss

liked it

Blurb:

How We Work is a well researched, technical look into mindfulness and compassion and how to use it to become happier in our personal and professional lives. This book is a good addition to your library if you struggle with job satisfaction or dealing with a difficult work situation or environment.

More Thoughts:

I saw "reclaim your sanity" in the title of this book and immediately thought this was a book for me. Even though now I'm a stay at home mom of 3 boys (who are in school all day) and a work from home blogger trying to launch a blog/business, I still feel like my days are kinda crazy, especially when the kids get home and we are heading in 10 different directions for school and activities. What mom doesn't feel like she needs to reclaim her sanity every once in awhile?

Well, let me tell you, this book was difficult for me to get into. In the beginning, I had to read it in small doses because I found it to be very technical, I guess you could say, relying heavily on research studies and ancient philosophy to illustrate the author's points. It also focused heavily on professionals working outside the home, so for them, this book would be much more valuable.

That being said, I did learn some important lessons worth taking into consideration as they can be applied to whatever your work status is.

* I worked outside the home for my first 13 years of motherhood as a CPA, accountant and internal auditor (talk about insane juggling a stressful full-time job and 3 kids). How We Work* helped me realize how toxic that environment was and how it contributed to worsening my health due to Rheumatoid Arthritis, an autoimmune chronic illness that impacts my joints.

* How one of the first studies on the impact of mindfulness was first done on chronic pain patients to see if improving their mindfulness would improve their ability to cope with pain (hint: it did).

* How finding your purpose in your job improves your satisfaction

* How having compassion for yourself is just as important as the compassion you show others

* How to fail better through constructive feedback and reflection

* Helpful Accomplish This actionable steps to take at the end of each chapter to implement what is discussed.

Overall, I liked this book ok, it was harder to read cover to cover since I typically read right before bed and I had a harder time focusing on the technical content at the end of my exhausting momlife days. I think if I was still working outside the home, I would totally benefit more from listening to the audiobook version on my commute to and from work to help get me in the proper mindset before I start and at the end of my workday. Or if you incorporate reading into your morning, pre-work routine, then How We Work  might help you start your day on a positive note.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Work.

Started Reading