Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > Wicked Saints

Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan

did not like it
bookshelves: 2019-release, young-adult, fantasy, wednesday-books, april-2019, arc-reviews

See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion.

Disclaimer 2: This book has blood magic, self-harm, lots of violence, and an off-handed conversation about said self-harm in the course of its 400 pages. Please practice self-care before, during, and after reading this book.

What the actual eff. Why is this getting such good reviews. Ignoring the fact that I was bored by 10% into this book, and probably wouldn't have finished if Dani and I hadn't been reading it together, after like 55%, I mostly just anger read this one.

The characters are boring, the plot feels reminiscent of literally hundreds of YA books before it (Dani and I were counting off specific points and lines that are basically the same as others we have read), and the "morally grey" aspects made me want to tear my hair out. I have read a couple reviews on here that talk about how Nadya doesn't have a lot of agency in this book - even in her POVs she is reduced to a side character. Once I saw it articulated, I agreed. I do hope that in the rest of the trilogy she is given the opportunity to grow; however, I will not find out because I'm not reading the rest of this.

You have to continuously wait for things to happen in this. It goes from one Big Point to nothing for like another 100 pages until you get to another Big Point, etc. etc. The fact that the characters find out they have been lied to and then so easily trust other people is ridiculous. The "halo" aspect of Nadya's character.... frustrates me to no end. So much of this just ANGERED me because I have no problem with books that use tropes, plot ideas, etc. from other books - but only if they do them well.

I am no longer going to be reading any "enemies to lovers" books that glorify tactics used in abusive relationships as "romantic" and "sexy." I read somewhere online that the test you should do is to imagine it is Peter Pettigrew (specifically the actor from the movies) doing these "hateful" things and see if they are still ~sexy~. If it isn't sexy if Peter Pettigrew does it, then it isn't sexy at all. I'm over villains and generally bad people who get a pass because they are attractive. No thank you!

Just read the Grisha trilogy instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Saints.

May 7, 2018 – Shelved
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: april-2019
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: arc-reviews
March 30, 2019 – Started Reading
March 30, 2019 –
39.0% "Dani and I are reading this together over Skype and she is LOVING it and I am like "meh" about it so wait to see how different our reviews are!!!!"
March 30, 2019 –
77.0% "what the fuck is this shit tbh."
March 30, 2019 –
85.0% "I honestly have stopped caring and am purely hate reading at this point."
March 30, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism) DISAPPOINTED SIGH.

message 2: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa YES TO THE PETER PETTIGREW TEST.

Jamie (Books and Ladders) Vanessa W. wrote: "YES TO THE PETER PETTIGREW TEST.

I apply the, "If he was a creepy, unattractive, truck driver test..." but nothing is wrong with being a truck driver. Your idea is MUCH better."

I'm glad I could give you something to help you in the future!!! 😀

Jamie (Books and Ladders) Dani wrote: "DISAPPOINTED SIGH."

I actually heard you sigh when you wrote this comment

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Carlier omg the peter pettigrew test sounds amazing (and poor peter omg)

Jamie (Books and Ladders) Alyssa wrote: "omg the peter pettigrew test sounds amazing (and poor peter omg)"

My mind was blown when I first read about it because it's so true???? but yes, poor peter.

Georgiana Derwent I enjoyed the book a lot more than you, but I love this review for introducing me to the concept of the Peter Pettigrew test!

Jamie (Books and Ladders) Georgiana wrote: "I enjoyed the book a lot more than you, but I love this review for introducing me to the concept of the Peter Pettigrew test!"

I think most people enjoyed the book more than I did, which is great! I am glad people are enjoying media! But I'm also glad I could introduce you to a new way to critique and consume media as well :)