Calista's Reviews > Millions of Cats

Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág

Surprising! I was not expecting this story at all. I like Edward Gorey and this has some dark wicked humor in it. I thought the ending was funny, a joke. I know people don't like jokes at the expense of the lives of animals, but it was still a joke.

This book was published in 1928 - the Roaring 20s. It is a time of prosperity and excess. The whole country is going boom. I don't know if Wanda meant it this way and I don't know if she foresaw the future, but it works as an allegory for the times it was published. There were millions of cat which could be the prosperity of the people and stock market. What if the cats represent money. There will millions and trillions and they ate up all the resources. Then they all disappeared until there was only one little scraggly kitten left that needed lots of love to nurse back to health. The stock market vanished and prosperity vanish. I keep thinking this. I'm sure it's not meant this way, but as the reader, this is my interpretation.

Wanda's art is black and white drawings. I'm sure color was extremely expensive back then and used scarcely. The pictures are quant and I like the font the story is told in. Wanda was quite an author and I enjoyed this funny little book. It does have a dark twist at the end.

The kids were surprised by the end too. When the cats started to fight, their eyes got real big and the little guy asked, what's going to happen. Their heart strings were tugged when the answer came and the little guy gave a short Ha at the conclusion.

It's a different kind of story and this was a Newbery honor book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Millions of Cats.

May 7, 2018 – Shelved