C.R. Elliott's Reviews > The Pursuit of Endurance: Harnessing the Record-Breaking Power of Strength and Resilience

The Pursuit of Endurance by Jennifer Pharr Davis

bookshelves: health_fitness, must-read, nonfiction, netgalley

*I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Normally I wouldn't talk about my life in a book review but with Pursuit of Endurance it feels appropriate. This year has been tumultuous with big moves and work changes on the horizon. I've been reaching for this book when I've needed extra strength to take the deep breaths and keep moving forward. I'm not an athlete nor am I particularly interested in attempting any records but I found the book blurb interesting and Jennifer Pharr Davis has an engaging storytelling style. At times the book had the effect of making me curious at training for a marathon or other physical feat but at others it just helped me to understand what helps people push through their own expectations of their own limitations. But, there wasn't a recklessness in the retelling. This book isn't just about endurance athletes but rather it offers lessons to anyone struggling toward their own goals. Jennifer Pharr Davis' portraits of FKT individuals paints a picture of people whose goals reside within themselves. People who have no external reason to trek over vast distances but do so because they are compelled to. In my life recently I have been struggling on a path that feels long and arduous, impossible at times but that I still feel compelled to continue upon. Reaching for Pursuit of Endurance as I wrestle with my own ephemeral goals was incredibly helpful. I recommend it highly to anyone who seeks to endure, there are wonderful lessons and stories within.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of Endurance.

January 7, 2018 – Started Reading