David Schaafsma's Reviews > I Hear the Sunspot

I Hear the Sunspot by Yuki Fumino

liked it
bookshelves: gn-women, gn-glbt, manga-seinen, disability, gn-disab

I Hear the Sunspot is a one volume manga about Kohei, a hearing impaired guy who gets a note-taker to help him in his classwork. Kohei in exchange gives the note-taker, Taichi, lunch every day, which as it turns out Taichi actually needs.

Kohei is an inner-focused guy, pretty somber, and because of his hearing not very connected with campus life, and Taichi is gregarious and outspoken. This is a story in part about raising consciousness about people with disabilities all around us, but it is far more complex than that, as the two work hard to understand each other and become friends, with a few challenges. If you take your time you can also see that it is a queer romance, but it is so subtle you could actually miss it, a fact I actually appreciated.

The focus is on character. And not much really happens, actually, but I thought it was pretty sweet.
As you can tell from the title, this is more about intense self- reflection than action. With lots of white space to slow down the pacing. I like it just fine and imagine a lot of people might like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hear the Sunspot.

April 24, 2018 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
April 24, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
May 6, 2018 – Started Reading