Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)'s Reviews > Roar

Roar by Cora Carmack

Roar is book one in the Stormheart series by Cora Carmack. It’s interesting, different, and unique.

First let me just point out I love this cover. The cover is what pulled me in to try Carmack and this novel. This is my first taste of Carmack and I have to say I enjoyed. The world is a fantasy land, with kingdoms, rulerships, and magic.

In Roar we meet Aurora a storm princess with no powers. This novel is her self-discover, coming to age, maturity, and the consciences of her actions, plus a love interest that will keep your romantic heart swooning.

Aurora aka Roar is betrothed to a storm wielding prince who is not what he seams. Unfortunately, since she has no magic she is powerless to refuse the marriage much less protect her land and people from the deadly storms. Desperation and some surprising facts that she leans send her on the run in the hopes of finding another way to gain power and save her Kingdom.

I liked and disliked Aurora. She’s a teenager and I’m never to found of teenagers. Sometimes they are more mature, but for the most part not. When we meet Aurora she's naïve and wishy washy, but this issue continues throughout the book. She does show determination in wanting to find out who she is (self-discover). I liked that and I felt her leaving was the best for her and her Kingdom. Now, I understand some of her naiveness, it’s due to her mother and others keeping things from her, but other times I just got frustrated with it. I also got frustrated with her showing this confidence and determination and then she would act the opposite and it'd be gone. It's the way of teenagers and growing up, but still frustrating.

We do meet some interesting secondary characters and I liked them. The storm chasers are a cool bunch. Locke, her love interests is dark and broody and refuses the heroine in the beginning, but his true feelings are quite obvious.

Carmack did a good job with the world building. What I liked the most in Roar is the storm aspects of the story. I was intrigued on how the storms are connect to magic, souls, and the people that can control or wielded them. I found that to be quite interesting and unique. I also liked the legends about the lands and people.

Cliffhanger: I will say things were just getting good and started at the end, when what happens, we’re left with a cliffhanger. Ahhhhh!!! Now, if the next book was out I wouldn’t be so, Ah about it, but where we end the plot was just getting started. The story is to conclude or continue in the second book. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Narration: I found the audio to be very enjoyable. Soneela Nankani did a great job with the voices and portraying the story. This is my first experience with this narrator and she kept the story moving along. I think if I had read this. I probably would’ve read a chapter or two and then stopped. It might’ve taken me a couple of days to get through this novel, but with the audio, it made things move quicker and when things got intense, I was kind of glued into listening on.

Rated: 3.5 Stars

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roar.

May 6, 2018 – Shelved
April 11, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 26, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-try-something-new
April 26, 2019 – Shelved as: 3-stars
April 26, 2019 – Shelved as: library-love

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Angela!💖💋

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Kat wrote: "Excellent review Angela!💖💋"

Thank you!