Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > The Shining

The Shining by Stephen King

47207032

bookshelves: library
Recommended to Chelsea by: Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)

This was most excellent; I can 100% see why this is many readers' favorite Stephen King novel. Heck, it's my favorite novel of his to date, although I have a good number of his books to catch up on. I've found myself overly critical of his work in the past, possibly due to the fact that he's so well known, but I feel it's more been a fault on my end. Previously I've picked up one of his doorstops at a time I wasn't prepared to fully invest in the time and energy it takes to immerse oneself into his world building and lengthy details. This time, I was ready. (Also, this was only like 600 pages which felt like a novella compared to IT.)

I'm finally able to understand why so many people hold the standard of traditional horror in comparison to this novel. Sure, it has all the creepy crawlies and spooky wookies to get your heart racing, but it's so grounded in reality that I had a hard time rationalizing with myself that "it's just a story." The 150 page set up is well worth the reader's time, as it lays the groundwork for much of the why behind the narrative, and it also gave me a chance to bond with precious Danny before the shit hit the fan.

I may be the last person on the planet to have read this book, but just in case I'm not, I wanted to share some of the things that really hit home with me. Just like IT is, at heart, a disturbing coming-of-age story, The Shining was an impeccable tale of extreme cabin fever with a hefty dose of "the destructive nature of alcoholism". When you break it down like that, the supernatural elements actually seem to take a backseat to the very real horror of what it's like living with someone struggling through addiction. I've heard all the stories of how this book helped SK realize his own struggle with alcohol, and I'm inclined to believe it's true as the writing here was heavy laden with emotion and depth.

I apologize for ever calling Mr. King over-hyped. I'm grateful my previous experiences with his wordier novels didn't deter me from finally choosing to read this, as it's a gem of a book and a classic in it's genre. I still despise Sleeping Beauties though and refuse to change my opinion on the matter. ;) Highly recommended to any other below-the-rock dwellers who may not have happened across this one. Now- to watch the movie or not?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shining.

May 6, 2018 – Started Reading
May 6, 2018 – Shelved
May 8, 2018 –
page 100
14.81% "So far so good."
May 12, 2018 –
page 150
22.22% "Switching over to the kindle version from my library so I can read this one at the gym. It's difficult to juggle a thick SK paperback while trying to navigate the cardio machines. ;)"
May 14, 2018 –
page 375
May 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)

Amy-GallivantingPages I’m hoping you like it better than I did. If so, I may have to try and reread because usually we like the same things!

James  Love Hold your hand...

Hold my beer. I ain't afraid of no ghosts. It's time to bust some ghosts.

XD

Katee One of my favorite Stephen King books. Happy reading!

Amelia Strydom I'm with Amy, didn't really like this one. Looking forward to your thoughts, Chelsea.

Alysha Stelling The bathtub scene gives me shivers every time! So good!!

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Good timing - I'm currently reading it too.

Ashleigh Brooks Yassss! I'm so excited you're reading this! One of my all-time favorite King novels. Can't wait to hear your thoughts; especially, since you haven't seen the movie!!

Katie Kegley Bah! Great one. I first read this when I was 14 and I hadn't seen the movie beforehand either.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess Thomas i saw the movie years ago and liked it but i find it hard to pick up a book if i have already seen the movie... i dont like the idea of putting in the time to read something when i already know the story

Elle's Book Blog This is one of my FAVORITE Stephen King books. I hope you enjoy it!

message 11: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Shwartz Stephen King has let it be known that he was not at all a fan of the movie because of the liberties that Kubrick took with the story. I had seen the movie years before finally reading the book, and while I love the movie, it was so much more enjoyable to read the book and see just how different much of it was. I definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts on this one!

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks everyone! So far I'm really enjoying it but it'll likely take me ages to get through it since I'm too scared to read it at night time. ;)

message 13: by Art (new) - rated it 5 stars

Art the Turtle of Amazing Girth the miniseries starring the guy from wings, when you finish reading, is a much more true adaptation, King helped in the making of that one.

message 14: by Truman32 (new)

Truman32 Great book! If it gets too intense for you, just put it in the freezer like Joey Tribbiani did when he got scared...

Chelsea Humphrey Truman32 wrote: "Great book! If it gets too intense for you, just put it in the freezer like Joey Tribbiani did when he got scared..."

Lol I did think about that!

Reshteen The movie took a lot of liberates with the book. I was let down by it, But this is one scarry book. Good luck!

Chelsea Humphrey Thank you Reshteen!

message 18: by Supratim (new) - added it

Supratim Great review, Chelsea!

❄️✨ Kat ✨❄️ I honestly didn't like the movie, and I think that's what has kept me from reading the book. However, I've been told that the movie is a really poor version of the book. It's so hard to understand (for me, anyways) and there really isn't much back-story.

Maureen I loved this book! Scared me so much. Never saw the movie. Great review, Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey ❄️✨ Kat ✨❄️ wrote: "I honestly didn't like the movie, and I think that's what has kept me from reading the book. However, I've been told that the movie is a really poor version of the book. It's so hard to understand ..."

I can understand that. There is loads of backstory in the book, and I'm assuming the movie cut most of that out for time's sake (and also because they didn't want to invest in anything other than gory drama).

Chelsea Humphrey Maureen wrote: "I loved this book! Scared me so much. Never saw the movie. Great review, Chelsea!"

Thank you so much! So glad you enjoyed this as well!

Chelsea Humphrey Supratim wrote: "Great review, Chelsea!"

Thank you!

Irene Great review! this was the first horror novel I ever read. It's what started my life long love of horror

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim Lay Awesome review!

message 26: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Bergstrand I still think it’s one of the movies that scares me the most. I imagine that the book is much better but the movie was still solid in my opinion. Knowing going in that it’s an older movie without all of the flashy production that we have now. Thanks for the review

message 27: by Fareya (new)

Fareya I've yet to read a Stephen King, I think I am too scared to 🙈 Great review though as always!

Katee He wrote a sequel, of sorts, a few years ago called Doctor Sleep. It follows an adult Danny who still has the shining. It isn't as intense as The Shining but it was still an enjoyable read. I'd recommend it since yoy enjoyed this one as much.

Corey Great review Chelsea! The Shining is my most favorite King book ever, and it was also my introduction to him! From page one I was hooked! Now about the movie, it has a lot of similarities and differences from the book, but I recommend it!

message 30: by Maysen (new)

Maysen I love your reviews so much they are so good!

Sandra I understand what you feel about Mr. King. For a while I felt it too, because I am no fan of the horror genre. I believe I didn't choose correctly the books that really are for me, because his work is so extensive, that he has wrote a novel for each of us. The shining is a classic of storytelling and horror (the movie seems like a child play once you've read the book), but I'll never read it again: it's so stressing for my heart. But I admit that I LOVED "The green mile" and "22/11/63". Give Mr King a chance in other genre: you will not regret it.

Laura Harrison Yes, watch the movie! There was one or two mini series made from the book as well. The one with the actor from the show Wings is different but I liked it, too. Classic King is the best King. My fav's (beside The Shining) are Misery, Salem's Lot and Cujo. I heard there is a remake of the film Pet Cemetery in the works.

message 33: by Hserna (new) - added it

Hserna Thanks to you it is now in my TBR huge list. Keep those nice reviews. ;)

Michelle Morrell King's quality fluctuates greatly according to where he was in his addiction cycle, he has greatness and he has utter dreck out there. Glad you found one of the good ones!

message 35: by Alan (new) - added it

Alan Great read!

message 36: by Kon (new) - added it

Kon R. You must watch the movie. It's one of Jack Nicholson's and Stanley Kubrick's best. The movie is so different from the book that it can be enjoyed as it's own thing. In my case, I saw the movie before reading the book.

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks everybody! I think I will watch the movie just for comparison’s sake. 👍🏼

Michelle Only Wants to Read The Shining is St. Stephen at his best. I'm glad you were able to experience his writing and appreciate the importance of his "setting the background" style. Have you read 11/22/63? It's long but worth the reading. Not the average "IT" or "The Shining" thing, but the story behind the supernatural elements is a delight. If you care for audiobooks, the Audible version is superb. :-)

Chelsea Humphrey Michelle Only Wants to Read wrote: "The Shining is St. Stephen at his best. I'm glad you were able to experience his writing and appreciate the importance of his "setting the background" style. Have you read 11/22/63? It's long but w..."

Thanks Michelle! I haven’t read that one yet but it’s on my wishlist; I love my audible books so I’ll see if I can snag that next. 🙌🏼

david Shine on, y'all :)

message 41: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Busa Great review!! If you haven't read The Stand yet, you must! It's probably one of the only books I've ever read twice. It was also probably one of the longest I've read. But, oh so good!

Chelsea Humphrey Julie wrote: "Great review!! If you haven't read The Stand yet, you must! It's probably one of the only books I've ever read twice. It was also probably one of the longest I've read. But, oh so good!"

I do have it on my bookshelf here... I’ve been working up the courage to start it! 🤣

Amy-GallivantingPages I'm going to have to give this another shot!

message 44: by Guy (new) - added it

Guy Portman A great film. Never read the book.

message 45: by Leah (new)

Leah Weed one of his doorstops lol
I thought the TV version with Steven Webber was better than the Jack Nicholson movie!

Chelsea Humphrey I’m still working up the courage to watch any of the film versions. Lol!

message 47: by Niki (new) - added it

Niki Yapo-Held I highly recommend The Stand too! It’s on my list of top 10 favorite books!

Kasey Rawn I am refusing to watch the movie before I read this book. The movie is my husbands favorite so i am now reading the book! I understand you when it comes to the point of having to immerse yourself in one of his books. i always have to mentally prepare myself to read one of his books. Under the Dome I really struggled with and I think that is why I have struggled with wanting to read any more of his books, but I am finally ready! I hope I enjoy it as much as you did!

Chelsea Humphrey Kasey wrote: "I am refusing to watch the movie before I read this book. The movie is my husbands favorite so i am now reading the book! I understand you when it comes to the point of having to immerse yourself i..."

I hope you enjoy it as well Kasey!

Chelsea Humphrey Mobeen wrote: "Do you have this book in hard form?"

I don’t; I borrowed from the library!

« previous 1