Sue's Reviews > Floating in My Mother's Palm

Floating in My Mother's Palm by Ursula Hegi

liked it
bookshelves: international, world-war-ii
Read 2 times. Last read November 21, 2011.

Ursula Hegi wrote "Floating in My Mother's Palm" before "Stones from the River", although the events in it come afterward. I'm not sure why I picked it up, much less bought it, because I was lukewarm about Stones. Yet, when I saw that Floating might give a different perspective on some of the same characters, I had to get it. It was an easier read that Stones, with chapters more like vignettes, and a main character, Hannah, that I found more likeable than Trudi in Stones. It was also a lot shorter, so I read it through in one sitting -- much less a commitment than Stones requires. I'd still have to say I'm lukewarm about the whole story, yet there is obviously something about it that intrigues me. Hegi's prose is excellent, so that alone make her worth reading. I think she has two other books that also feature characters in this German town; not sure if I'll read them or not, but I am thinking about it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Floating in My Mother's Palm.

November 21, 2011 – Started Reading
November 21, 2011 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
November 21, 2011 – Shelved
November 21, 2011 – Shelved as: international
November 21, 2011 – Shelved as: world-war-ii
November 21, 2011 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 21, 2011 – Finished Reading
Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)