MeinLesezeichenBlog's Reviews > Hex

Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

bookshelves: 18für2018

Taking this book into my hands and reading it equaled taking a huge step outside of my comfort zone, because I am a scaredy cat. Despite of this or perhaps exactly for that reason I do not regret this extraordinary horror-thriller novel. At the beginning it was quite difficult to get into the story because there was no introduction whatsoever (to the figures, to the circumstances etc.). The reader is directly confronted with the appearance of Katherine, without any further explanations. The beginning is mysterious, enigmatic and kind of confusing. The picture got much clearer with the introduction of the Delarosa family: they are a means to an end, only there to tell and understand the witch's story.
Katherine appearance throughout the story really freaked me out. As I was reading the novel mainly at night, I did not dare to look up from the book. I really expected her to be standing near my bed. And also her curse is sooooo ingenious, creepy but cool! Regarding her role the author did a pretty damn good job. My poor psyche. HEX is definitely not a bedtime story.
Honestly yes, the author was kind of obsessed with genitals, especially breasts, and foreheads. It did not disturb me that much, it was just a rather odd element of the story. I will not be able to get those pictures out of my head - unfortunately.
The mixture of high-end technology and supernatural phenomena got me hooked. It is a rather curious but fascinating combination. It is a contradiction that fits so well, as it offers a lot of potential, which was exploited by the author in an interesting way.
More often than not, I had the feeling that Black Spring was our world/society in a nutshell. Furthermore, the inhabitants of Black Spring were not doomed because of the witch or her curse, but because of themselves. The witch was only the manifestation or the symptom of what goes wrong in our/their society. And guys: History repeats itself.

All in all it was a gripping story and throughout the whole narration I was more than thrilled. And that ending - oh my... The psychological horror was immense but bearable. I am recommending this novel to anyone who likes dark and grim stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex.

May 5, 2018 – Started Reading
May 5, 2018 – Shelved
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 18für2018
May 8, 2018 –
page 116
30.21% "Creepy!"
May 8, 2018 –
page 150
39.06% "This is definitely not a bedtime story.. But well, no risk no fun! Planning on having nightmares tonight 🙈"
May 10, 2018 –
page 230
59.9% "Puhh crazy"
May 10, 2018 –
page 285
74.22% "“That’s a whole nother level of fucked-upness”"
May 10, 2018 – Finished Reading