Margaret Metz's Reviews > Dance of the Dandelion

3220021
Nov 21, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from November 21 to 24, 2011

This book was a total surprise for me. When I saw the cover I thought it was going to be a fluffy read. It wasn't at all. This was one of the most ... "true" books I've read.

Dandelion (again a kind of ... fluffy name) is a character yearning for more. More romance, more security, more adventure, more education, more ... of everything than she thinks she can get from the little village she lives in and the people in it. She dreams of a knight to ride up, swoop her into his arms, and carry her away from all her troubles and into a happily ever after. What happens is a lot more complicated than that. She learns that the castle is not all she expected and money doesn't always bring the happiness or even the security she had been expecting. All along there is this emptiness that no amount of fancy clothes can fill.

The story really revolves around Dandelion turning from a dreamy-eyed girl into a mature woman who is willing to accept the consequences for her actions and, even more importantly, is concerned about what other people might need and want and how she can best meet those needs. It's an amazing transformation and how it happens is so gradual and realistic that it resonates with you the whole way. Part of you totally relates to her dreams and desires in the beginning -- and you can also relate with her as she makes her journey (though I admit to screaming at the book, "Talk to him!" more than once. :o)

Characters make the story -- and this book was populated with very complex and genuine people. I believed in them. I enjoyed spending time in their world. The faith aspects were important to the story, but you never felt like you were being beat over the head with them. It just felt like an integral part of the lives of these - flawed, but evolving characters.

This one is going on my list to choose favorites of the year. I want to thank the publisher, White Fire Publishing, for providing my copy in exchange for my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance of the Dandelion.