Jennifer's Reviews > The Line That Held Us

The Line That Held Us by David    Joy

Alright folks, get ready for a dark tale that'll drag you down into the land of human suffering. You won't be alone. All of David Joy's characters live there. Get ready to be conflicted beyond measure. Based on this story's theme, there are no villains and there are no victims...there is simply fate and survival and sacrifice.

The Line That Held Us is sorrowful and full of rage and consequence, with ample threads of beauty that appear at the most unexpected times. Dark, raw, pure, and philosophically psychotic, this is a must read! David Joy knows what he’s doing.

My favorite quote:
To be announced upon publication if I can choose between my 71 kindle highlights...

Thank you to the following for permitting me access to an advance reader's copy (ARC) of The Line That Held Us. This generosity did not impact my honesty when rating/reviewing.
Source:
NetGalley
Author: David Joy
Publisher: Penguin Group Putnam - G.P. Putnam's Sons
Genres: General Fiction (Adult)
Pub Date: August 14, 2018

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line That Held Us.

May 4, 2018 – Shelved
May 4, 2018 – Shelved as: arc-penguin
May 20, 2018 – Started Reading
May 20, 2018 –
May 20, 2018 –
May 21, 2018 –
50.0% "I am LOVING this book!"
May 24, 2018 –
May 28, 2018 – Shelved as: one-click-authors
May 28, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 28, 2018 – Shelved as: stand-alone-novel
May 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Melissa I hope you LOVED this one! Looking forward to reading your thoughts. This is one of my most anticipated reads of the year. 😬

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I am NOT ready for a dark tale that will drag me down into suffering! Whew. How do you do it?! (Glad you enjoyed the ride)

Jennifer Melissa wrote: "I hope you LOVED this one! Looking forward to reading your thoughts. This is one of my most anticipated reads of the year. 😬"

Oh I loved it! It won't let you down, Melissa!!

Jennifer Andrea wrote: "I am NOT ready for a dark tale that will drag me down into suffering! Whew. How do you do it?! (Glad you enjoyed the ride)"

Oops, I may have been a bit too harsh with that wording. Actually, no I wasn't lol. It's a dark book but like I said it's surprisingly philosophical with moments of beauty strategically placed to give a reprieve. On my favorites list!

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Great review, Jennifer!!! I'm not sure why, but maybe I do want to try being in the land of human suffering for a moment?? Only if I can get back out though!

Melissa So happy to see those 5 stars! ;)

Jennifer Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Jennifer!!! I'm not sure why, but maybe I do want to try being in the land of human suffering for a moment?? Only if I can get back out though!"

Hahaha! I think I’m going to regret this description lol. 😜
It’s an awesome book!!

Jennifer Melissa wrote: "So happy to see those 5 stars! ;)"

You know it, girl!!

debra Great review, Jennifer. I already wanted this, but that has changed to "I WANT IT-NOW!!!"

Jennifer debra wrote: "Great review, Jennifer. I already wanted this, but that has changed to "I WANT IT-NOW!!!""

Haha, this was my fav from Joy to date but you know they’re all very different and all very good!

message 11: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review!!

Jennifer Deanna wrote: "Excellent review!!"

Thank you, Deanna!! 😘

message 13: by Myrna (new) - added it

Myrna Great review! Adding it to my list!

Jennifer Myrna wrote: "Great review! Adding it to my list!"

Definitely worth the read. Thanks!!

Angela M You liked it much better than I did , Jennifer . Just too much for me.

Jennifer Angela M wrote: "You liked it much better than I did , Jennifer . Just too much for me."

Yeah there were some hard-to-stomach parts. Glad to see you gave it a shot :)

message 17: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine I MUST read this after your review!

Jennifer Christine wrote: "I MUST read this after your review!"

☺️ I hope you enjoy it, Christine!!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Not today, Satan.