Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > Pieces of Her

Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter

bookshelves: 2019, favorite-authors, suspense

“I'm not choosing anybody but myself.”

Pieces of Her started with a bang, literally.

Andrea Cooper, a thirty-one-year-old woman, is having lunch with her mother, Laura Oliver, in celebration of her birthday. They are discussing Andrea's next move. Andrea works as a 911 dispatcher. She was living in NYC but moved back home when her mother, Laura was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years back. Now, her mother thinks it's time to go back to NYC and start living. As they are discussing this, a young man comes into the dinner and starts shooting. Andrea and her mother almost die but by the end of the night, Laura's actions are brought into question. Andrea is told not to talk to the cops and Andrea feels like she has lost her mother's affection. Worse, her mother is kicking her out. She must move out that same night.

What happens next will chase Andrea away. She'll have to run and hide. Some very bad people are after her. The only way to know what's really going on is for her to unravel what her mother has been hiding for 32 years.

“She had always believed—vehemently, with great conviction—that the only way to change the world was to destroy it.”

I wasn't sure what to think about Andrea at the beginning. I was mad she was acting like a catatonic dummy and she had no reaction time during the shooting. Yes, I admit, in her situation, I'd probably be the same but come on, the women in books should be sturdier and smarter! Anyway, I do love how Karin Slaughter was able to grow her as a character and by the end, she could stand on her own two feet. Laura, on the other hand, was a force to be reckoned with. I do not want to have her as an enemy. She has learned from her past mistakes and was not going to make them again.

Pieces of You is mostly about a mother and her daughter. The past and the present are presented to the reader at different times. We learned about Laura and what made her change and what they're both capable to do in order to survive. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. I switch from audible to kindle and vice-versa. It was a fun ride.

If I had to express a couple of complaints, my first one will be that I'd love to see more Mike and Andy interaction. My second one, you'll have to ask me because it's a spoiler.

Cliffhanger: No

4/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pieces of Her.

May 4, 2018 – Shelved
May 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 3, 2019 – Started Reading
April 3, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 6, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
April 6, 2019 – Shelved as: favorite-authors
April 6, 2019 – Shelved as: suspense

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

❤️ Paulette Happy Reading & I 🙏🙏 you enjoy your read "L💕ve 💙"

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette wrote: "Happy Reading & I 🙏🙏 you enjoy your read "L💕ve 💙""
Thank you, Paulette!

❤️ Paulette Sheyla ✎ wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: "Happy Reading & I 🙏🙏 you enjoy your read "L💕ve 💙""

Thank you, Paulette!"

Always Pleasure L💕ve ツ

message 4: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Fantastic review ♥️

message 5: by Bharath (new)

Bharath Great review Sheyla!

Sheyla ✎ Bharath wrote: "Great review Sheyla!"
Thank you, Bharath!

message 7: by Yun (new)

Yun Terrific review, Sheyla! I love books with great character growth! Glad you enjoyed this one. :)

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Nice review, Sheyla! 💕

message 9: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Fantastic review, Sheyla 💖

Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Terrific review, Sheyla! I love books with great character growth! Glad you enjoyed this one. :)"
Thank you, Yun.

Sheyla ✎ Michelle wrote: "Nice review, Sheyla! 💕"

Sheyla ✎ Felicia wrote: "Fantastic review, Sheyla 💖"
Thank you, Felicia!