Iris's Reviews > The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

bookshelves: read-in-2018

Edit: I'm leaving this review up because I was really proud of it when I wrote it, but I no longer feel comfortable supporting this author

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy.

Quotes Iris Liked

Mackenzi Lee
“Everyone has heard stories of women like us—cautionary tales, morality plays, warnings of what will befall you if you are a girl too wild for the world, a girl who asks too many questions or wants too much. If you set off into the world alone. Everyone has heard stories of women like us, and now we will make more of them.”

Mackenzi Lee
“Because women don't have to be men's equals to be considered contenders; they have to be better. That's the lie of it all. You have to be better to prove yourself worthy of being equal.”

Mackenzi Lee
“You're trying to play a game designed by men. You'll never win, because the deck is stacked and marked, and also you've been blindfolded and set on fire. You can work hard and believe in yourself and be the smartest person in the room and you'll still get beat by the boys who haven't two cents to rub together. So if you can't win the game, you have to cheat. You operate outside the walls they've built to fence you in. You rob them in the dark, while they're drunk on spirits you offered them. Poison their waters and drink only wine.”

Mackenzi Lee
“In the company of women like this— sharp-edged as raw diamonds but with soft hands and hearts, not strong in spite of anything but powerful because of everything— I feel invincible. Every chink and rut and battering wind has made us tough and brave and impossible to strike down. We are mountains— or perhaps temples, with foundations that could outlast time itself.”
tags: women

Mackenzi Lee
“You deserve to be here. You deserve to exist. You deserve to take up space in this world of men.”

Mackenzi Lee
“Every time you rolled your eyes and every little smart remark you made about how silly it was for girls to care about their looks. You refused to let me--or anyone!--like books and silks. Outdoors and cosmetics. You stopped taking me seriously when I stopped being the kind of woman you thought I had to be to be considered intelligent and strong. All those things you say make men take women less seriously--I don't think it's men; it's you. You're not better than any other woman because you like philosophy better than parties and don't give a fig about the company of gentlemen, or because you wear boots instead of heels and don't set your hair in curls.”

Mackenzi Lee
“The room is warm and smells like dust, and just the presence of so many books makes it easier to breathe. It’s remarkable how being around books, even those you’ve never read, can have a calming effect, like walking into a crowded party and finding it full of people you know.”

May 3, 2018 – Shelved
May 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 3, 2018 – Started Reading
page 0
0.0% "AHHHHHHHHH THIS IS ONLY LIKE ONE OF MY MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASES OF THE YEAR!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!"
page 32
7.11% "'"Are you all right?" Percy asks, which should have been my brother's first question, though I'm not shocked it wasn't.'

Oh, Monty. 😂😂😂"
page 67
14.89% ""I'm talking about menstruation, sir!"

Oh. My. Gosh. Felicity you are a queen!"
page 127
28.22% "Dr. Elizabeth Brilliant?! 😂😂

I think that might be ever worse than Captain Two Tooth the Terrible."
page 154
34.22% ""Girls like me are meant to have books instead of friends."
"Why can't you have both?"

Feel like this is completely a reference to the line from book one about blessing book people for having words instead of friends, but a completely different take on it, and it's sort of cool."
October 4, 2018 –
page 318
70.67% "Oooops, how is it now one in the morning? I CAN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN!! Felicity is amazing and I love her SO MUCH!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"
October 4, 2018 –
page 379
84.22% "Oh my gosh! 😂😂😂
Monty is enjoying this far more than he should."
October 4, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
October 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris Brianna wrote: "HAHA this was literally me before, during, and after reading this. So (SO) happy you loved this and can’t wait to talk about it with you!!!"

I JUST CAN'T EVEN FORM WORDS I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!!!! And yes! I can't wait to talk about it more with you!!

✩ Ashley ✩ Awesome review! I absolute love this book and I haven’t been able to figure out how to write more than “RTC”. Also for the handful of other books I’ve fallen in love with over the last month... but give me something that I had issues with and I’ll write a book about it 😂

message 3: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris ✩ Ashley ✩ wrote: "Awesome review! I absolute love this book and I haven’t been able to figure out how to write more than “RTC”. Also for the handful of other books I’ve fallen in love with over the last month... but..."

Aww, thanks! And I know the feeling! I had a really hard time starting this review, but once I got started it just poured out of me! Reviewing books I hate is so much easier than the ones I loved...

But I believe in you! You can do it!

✩ Ashley ✩ Ahh thanks! Maybe I’m in a review writing funk too... First came the reading slump in sept eeek I’m seeing a pattern. It’ll magically come back when I should be studying for exams in 2-3wks haha

message 5: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris ✩ Ashley ✩ wrote: "Ahh thanks! Maybe I’m in a review writing funk too... First came the reading slump in sept eeek I’m seeing a pattern. It’ll magically come back when I should be studying for exams in 2-3wks haha"

Oh yup, that is a pattern I know all too well. And yes, that IS of course when you'll be motivated 😂

Ahhh, good luck!

message 6: by ☆ Mira ✷ (new)

☆ Mira ✷ I hated Gentleman's Guide but I love these reviews you're banging out, wow!!

message 7: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris Nooooo!! How do you hate Gentleman's Guide?! 😭😭😭

message 8: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris But aww, thank you!

message 9: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris Brianna wrote: "YES!! THIS REVIEW IS GOLD AND NOW I WANT TO REREAD"

Aww, thanks! And I want to reread to tbh.