Yoni Esterman's Reviews > (((Semitism))): Being Jewish in America in the Age of Trump

(((Semitism))) by Jonathan Weisman

** spoiler alert ** What does it mean to be Jewish in the age of Trump? It is a great, and frightening, inquiry. The hate that has come out of the woodwork is unbelievable, and yet we have to believe it because it is very much real. Weisman digs into the truth of what is going on, and his own personal experiences in recent years. In doing so, he uncovers not some great conspiracy, but rather an unbridled hate without purpose or reason. It is with this that the reader must look at their own life and actions, as well as those around them, to see if they are acting on logic or bias. I’m not accusing everyone of being a racist, and neither is Weisman. I am simply pointing out that as one reads about the bias against the Jewish people, the news of 2018 also brings forward the recognition of bias everywhere. Readers need to take the next step and stop the bias in their own perspective worlds.

Weisman’s literary style is one that is enthralling. This genre of writing does not attract me, yet I found the notion, title, and material engaging. As I started to read, the question was not whether I could engage, but rather how could I disengage. The author excels and bringing the audience into the issue that is quite relevant and helping them work past the politic-speak and actually come to terms with the inherent problem itself. I highly recommend this literary work for reading. It goes beyond nonfiction and politics and touches the frays of the hearts of everyone, everywhere.

Disclosure: I have received a reviewer copy and/or payment in exchange for an honest review of the product mentioned in this post. This product is reviewed based on content and quality in consideration of the intended audience. Review or recommendation of this product does not solicit endorsement from Reviews by J or the reviewer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read (((Semitism))).

Finished Reading