T.B. Cooper's Reviews > Darkest Perception

Darkest Perception by Shari J. Ryan

This review is for “Darkest Perception,” by Shari J. Ryan

Yet another win, for Shari Ryan! She went Dark… like, REALLY Dark, with her newest literary addition to her fictional world of characters. Without spoilers, here’s my take on this 5-star story…

Plot: Given the taglines and synopsis of the book, I still wasn’t prepared for what was in store as I began reading. I was definitely NOT disappointed, however, with the way the twists and turns played out. Shari has a special way of making the most audacious of scenarios appear almost commonplace, with her unique storytelling abilities.

Characters: Her characters have always been fully-fleshed, so I expected to fall in love with Harley and Axel, right away. But… I didn’t. Why? Because Shari quite nicely hooked me with more questions about motives and what the heck was going on, that the mystery surrounding these two, intrigued me past the point of distraction. There wasn’t time, in the beginning, to “love” the characters because the situations they find themselves in, and the way they handle (it), took up most of my time trying to find out why.

The Writing: There isn’t much more I can add to this particular section that I haven’t said before. Shari J. Ryan is an extremely gifted master of weaving stories. This one, a darker tale full of deception, just proves that point. She’s the Queen of the Hook.

In Case You Wanted to Know: There is both violence and sex(not combined) in this novel. This isn’t for the faint of heart. If four lettered words bother you, this also isn’t for you. Do NOT read this book if you’re looking for a story that has been (until recently) typical of Shari, where there aren’t master assassin-type, bad guys lurking around and someone might die. This novel plays by a totally different set of rules.

Overall: I enjoyed reading a story about two individuals who each have mysterious paths that were destined to cross. It was easy to read, easy to follow… Seeing this “other side” of Shari as she explores her scope of writing abilities is truly exciting, and I can’t wait to read whatever she dishes out next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkest Perception.

Finished Reading