Sam Teru's Reviews > Becoming Kareem: Growing Up On and Off the Court

Becoming Kareem by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

U 50x66

I enjoyed this book thoroughly! It provided great insight into the diverse live of the NBA’s leading all-time scorer, but what I loved about this book was how it detailed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s life on and off the court. As an avid Basketball fan, I knew of Kareem as an outstanding center, but I did not know anything about his personal life. Kareem illustrates key moments in his life narrating to as early as his memories at a boarding school and continues through his NBA and post-NBA career.

One thing I particularly loved about Kareem’s autobiography was his keen perception of the setting. Kareem grew up in Harlem during the Civil Rights Movement, and his perspectives of racial tension and prejudice as a young teenager is mature beyond his years, which has greatly influenced his extracurricular involvement. He narrates specific moments of racial prejudice and injustice in his life that captivated me as a reader.

Kareem’s story is compelling in that he shares a piece of his personality that many are not aware of. His progression through some his best and worst moments are captivating, and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, regardless of your opinion of basketball. The book is published by Little, Brown Books and is available for $9.99 on the Kindle or $12.59 on Amazon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Kareem.

Finished Reading