Rebekah Teller's Reviews > City of Kings

City of Kings by Rob J. Hayes

I was fortunate enough to beta read City of Kings, and I can definitely say it works as a standalone novel. Despite not having read previous books with these characters, I was able to feel connected to them and genuinely cared about their fates.

Rob Hayes does an excellent job of balancing action, intrigue, and character development. He filters in details from their past exploits, so you definitely have a sense that these characters have been through a lot together, but here they are on a new mission: to conquer the impenetrable walls of the City of Kings.

This is a siege story, with many battle scenes, offset by subtle moments of taking risks and finding fortitude. The author brings an artful quality to some really horrifying scenes that are both ruthless and beautiful. There's a lot at stake in this book—on both sides of the walls—and it builds to an excellent climax on a grand scale.

The story genuinely surprised me in the end. I did not accurately predict who would or would not survive the book. Though we find resolution in most of the storylines, there are certainly seeds planted for future problems to arise.

City of Kings is an exciting and dramatic read I recommend to all fans of dark fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Kings.

Started Reading