Bridgette Redman's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Nov 20, 2011

While I have always liked the Sherlock Holmes stories, I've never been a fan of patisches. So I was a bit reluctant when this book was loaned to me during a convalescence. I'm so glad I overcame the reluctance to read it.

Although the Sherlock Holmes in this novel is every bit the character that Doyle created, this book is not a Holmes story, it's very definitely a Mary Russell story. We meet this gangly, American, Jewish teenager as she stumbles over Holmes in fields near her home. They forge an unlikely friendship that challenges both of them. In Mary, Holmes has found an equal and the adventures that they undertake together are exciting, gripping, and moving. They learn to trust each other and we fall in love with both of them.

The book contains many of the favorites that we learned to love or hate in Doyle's novel, often with a slightly different twist on them. We once again meet Mycroft, Watson, and Lestrade. Holmes' Baker Street Irregulars have grown up, but they're still around to give Holmes a hand.

Although the individual adventures are interesting, it is the overall plot that is most engaging and the ending carries the true trademark of a great mystery novel--it is surprising, perfectly fitting, and leaves the reader slightly stunned.

This is a great start to a great series. There is at least one weak book, "A Letter of Mary" was rather disappointing, but they are all worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.