Jason Presley's Reviews > "Teeny": Professional Wrestling's Grand Dame

"Teeny" by Brennon Martin

bookshelves: wrestling

When I first learned about this book and saw it listed as an "historical novel", I wasn't entirely sure what that meant. Now, after having read it, and tremendously enjoyed it, I understand what that meant. While it is mostly historically accurate, in order to make it more of a story, Martin embellished a little here, added a scene there and generally made Christine Jarrett's story perhaps a little more engaging and readable than had it been a simple biography.

As with most wrestling stories, not everyone comes out smelling like a rose, but no one was really made out to be a villain, just human, with human faults. Perhaps the most obviously fictionalized story, and also one of the most entertaining, was the second chapter about Roy Welch, Pat Malone and the bear. Wrestling in Tennessee was well beyond hiding in barns by the late 1930s, but it made for a great way to introduce a few of the major players in Teeny's life.

If you want to know more about Christine Jarrett, definitely give this book a try. Is it 100% accurate? No. Is it entertaining? Absolutely!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read "Teeny".

May 1, 2018 – Started Reading
page 80
May 3, 2018 –
page 104
May 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Brennon (new) - added it

Brennon Martin You get it! I'm happy you understood what I was trying to do and even happier that you enjoyed Teeny's story