Angie's Reviews > And the Ocean Was Our Sky

And the Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, young-adult

My Review: This book kept catching my eye, so I broke down and picked it up. It is an absolutely beautiful book aesthetically, stunning naked cover and beautiful illustrations throughout the book. I also like the concept, a retelling of Moby Dick from a whale's perspective. Unfortunately, for me it was just a little too obscure. It is one thing to have a twist in a retelling with a change in perspective, but it was taken to a whole other level with the whales swimming upside down and pulling their own underwater ships and their own harpoons. Maybe if this had been explained more, with some more world building, I would have enjoyed it more. There were also some odd details, like boiling bones on deck but then also saying fire doesn't work under water, so how are you boiling something? and why would the whales be doing that? There is also a lot of symbolism and metaphors in the book, but I just have no desire to puzzle through them plus the upside down world and the whale's perspective. There just seems to be too much going on for my liking, at least at this time. I did really enjoy the back and forth between the whale and the human, the revelations on both sides is what the story centers around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And the Ocean Was Our Sky.

May 1, 2018 – Shelved