Connie's Reviews > The House of Silk

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

Apr 16, 2017

bookshelves: mystery, england, spring-2017
Read from April 14 to 16, 2017

Anthony Horowitz has written a new mystery story about Sherlock Holmes. It's 1915, and an older Dr John Watson is setting down his memories about another Sherlock Holmes adventure. In the preface Watson tells us that he did not write about this case earlier because "the events which I am about to describe were simply too monstrous, too shocking to appear in print. They still are. It is no exaggeration to suggest that they would tear apart the entire fabric of society and, particularly at a time of war, this is something I cannot risk."(6) Watson arranged for the story to be locked up in his solicitor's vaults for one hundred years. Now, a century later, we are reading about the disturbing events involving the House of Silk.

Anthony Horowitz did a stellar job of replicating the style of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing. He included all the usual secondary characters--the landlady Mrs Hudson, the boys in the Baker Street Irregulars, Mycroft Holmes, and Inspector Lestrade. Sherlock Holmes, with his incredible powers of deduction, and his trusty sidekick Watson start with a case involving the destruction of some famous paintings during a train robbery. A dark mystery involving the House of Silk is also being investigated. The reader finds out the link between the two cases in a good twist at the end. The story is riveting with good characterizations and an exciting plot. Kudos to Anthony Horowitz for an excellent Sherlock Holmes novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Silk.

03/15/2017 marked as: to-read