Jennifer (bunnyreads)'s Reviews > A Warden's Purpose

A Warden's Purpose by Jeffrey L. Kohanek

liked it
bookshelves: tbrinder-books, 2018, ya

I do a fair bit of ya reading but most of it is older than what I feel this is geared towards. Not a big deal though, I read anything but I did have to make some allowances for things I wouldn’t let slide in an older teen novel. This felt more along the age group of Zahn’s Dragon and Thief series but that might change as series progresses.

It was a lot of fun though. It’s quick paced and adventurey feeling with some mildly dangerous situations that the young protags get themselves out of through their own devices- the kind of stuff I think the younger teens would really enjoy. There’s nothing too graphic- a few hints of a very tame romance and there were some deaths but on the whole they’re very distant feeling.

The book is pretty straightforward with the sibling’s each recounting their lives to their kidnappers (which happens almost immediately so no spoilers) part of the mystery is the why’s behind their kidnapping, and the why are they wanting to have them tell this story told in the first place. You do start to get an idea as the story unfolds though you don’t really know the whole reason until the very end- which I liked and thought is was a neat way to keep you reading.

The sibling’s have a great relationship with each other and their parents, I appreciated that, and that both of them were fun pov characters. The fact that we see each of their sides of their time at the school was helpful in keeping the school setting from being monotonous and for me, not being a big fan of learning/school settings, that it didn’t feel like a “sitting in the classroom learning this thing” book made it a much more enjoyable read.

Quinn- the sister is the fighter. She’s a bit cocky has a strong sense of justice and fairness and doesn’t like bully’s, she’s super protective of her brother Everson. Her parts at the school was mostly fight training and hunting.

Everson- The brother. Super smart and a bit more subdued personality wise- mostly because of the fact that he was unable to walk so he spent much of his early years with only Quinn to keep him company. After his dad made him some special canes he was able to get around but was bullied so he feels uncomfortable in crowds etc.… His parts at the school were more to do with the magic, inventing (think of him as a young teen Q) and use of the runes.

There was a nice collection of friends and other activities to round things out at the school, and some life messages about bullying, and acceptance.

As a teen, I probably would have eaten this up with a spoon. The introverted me, would have loved the smart and improvising nature of Everson. But the skilled fighter and outgoing personality, I always wanted to have, of Quinn, would have been a favorite too. So, this wins with both characters for me.

As an adult, I wished for a few extra bits in the story to round it out.
Like for instance a little more reaction at the end when a certain someone shows up at the interrogation and it’s a surprise for him/her, considering the circumstances he/she had last seen this person, I expected a tad more there. (nothing like beating around the bush but you’ll know what I mean if you read it)

During the cutback scenes- it felt too easy-going, here’s my story. Outside of the beginning there’s few to no thoughts/questions about “ok, what the heck is going on here?” even though they were spilling the beans in protection of the other sibling. Everson especially, is an inquisitive thinking kid and I would have liked more of him speculating or just anything really.
To be fair, some of that feeling like there’s not enough reaction from the kids through the story could also be that the passage of time, which was noted at the end but felt longer because of the story being told, then it actually was while telling it.

TLDR; A quick fun YA with some nice friendships, neat rune magic, and a touch of mystery to round it all out.

Actual score 3.5

-Thank you to the author Jeffrey L Kohanek, for generously providing a copy through Esme’s tbrinder matchmaking reviewer/author service, which you can find here at The Weatherwax Report-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Warden's Purpose.

April 30, 2018 – Shelved
April 30, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 30, 2018 – Shelved as: tbrinder-books
May 28, 2018 – Started Reading
May 30, 2018 –
10.0% "Interesting way to give us the background"
June 1, 2018 –
20.0% ""You can quit if you want to" :D"
June 2, 2018 –
50.0% "Dun dun duuun..."
June 4, 2018 –
98.0% "I was liking you Iko... who am I kidding, I still do."
June 6, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018