Cody's Reviews > Untoward Awakening

Untoward Awakening by Sara Secora

ARC Review

I received an advanced review copy of Untoward Awakening a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as I started reading it I was immediately transported back to the land of Northwind and into the life of Princess Amethysta Serelle. This ability to pull in the reader is one of the things that stood out to me about the first book in the trilogy, and it was something that I noticed immediately when starting to read this book as well.

The world building that Sara Secora does through her writing is yet again amazing, but this book raises that to an entirely new level as the reader has an opportunity to learn much more about the world that was only hinted at in the first book. Secora creates vivid and unique settings throughout the book and conveys these settings to the reader in a way that allows for the opportunity to truly imagine the world and the new experiences of Amethysta as though we were right there with her. I have a great fondness for well-developed fantasy settings that allow the imagination to run wild, and this book has exactly that.

This immersion is reinforced by the perspective the book is written in – the world, the characters, and the story are told through Amethysta’s eyes, and this allows the reader a chance to learn even more about her and the challenges she is experiencing. As the story progresses, this perspective allows the reader to witness an amazing transformation as Amethysta must come to grips with the events of the previous book and the new adventures that Untoward Awakening brings. Through this, the author creates remarkable character development in Amethysta as she transforms from a sheltered princess to something much more. We also see this similar development in recurring characters and new characters we are introduced to as the story evolves.

Overall, Untoward Awakening is filled with fun, adventure, funny moments, shocking moments, and it offers a beautifully fleshed out world that wonderfully builds upon the important details we learned in the first book. Throughout the book, important questions are answered, new questions emerge, and we get to explore more of the land of Vataenya, its people, and the unique magic of the world. If you were a fan of Throne of Lies, then you absolutely must read Untoward Awakening. If you haven’t read Throne of Lies yet, then pick up both and prepare for a story that will leave you excited for what the third book has to offer!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Untoward Awakening.

April 30, 2018 – Shelved