Jenna Howard's Reviews > Static

Static by Tawny Stokes

bookshelves: y-a

I'm not a huge reader of YA books. I've noticed that some (not all) authors dumb down their writing for a younger crowd. Authors I love in their mainstream genres will tackle a YA and I wince my through it.

Tawny Stokes isn't one of those authors and Static isn't one of those books.

I became sucked into Salem's story immediately. Salem is a regular teenage girl who has a massive crush on a rockband, especially the lead singer Thane. Things do not go according to plan for Salem is giving up her virginity to the musician. Instead she finds herself turned into a half-sucubus demon. Yeah, no vampires, angels or werewolves in this world. Tawny went the naughty root.

And considering that Cambian's feed on sex - there was no sex. Some heart-pounding kissing scenes and bra action but that was it. The budding romance is sweet, the growing pains of her demon half are heart-breaking and Salem is a heroine you just have to love. She doesn't sit on the floor and whine that she's a half-demon. There's no "Woe me? Why me? It's so unfair!" foot stamping attitude. Sure she has the denial...who wouldn't. But she never loses sight of who she is. Even before she was turned, Salem was a strong character. There was none of the usual "Oh I'm an outsider boo-hoo, my teenage life sucks" that I've read in some YA books. She marches to a different drummer and doesn't apologize for that. She's a tough little cookie and I adore her.

Static is a wild ride as Salem deals with her new self, falls for a half-incubus demon named Trevor and tries to figure out how to rid the world of Malice. Not what the usual 17 year old deals with. All of the characters (the heroes, villains and secondary characters) are strong and balance each other well. The story is unique and Tawny's writing is awesomely awesome.

If you're looking for a YA book that's unique with a strong heroine, go no further. It's a book that will appeal to the late-teen crowd and the adult crowd. A good read is a good read. Period.

There is some underage drinking, undertones of sex and a girl with a kick a$$ attitude. Read Static. Do it. Right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Static.

Finished Reading