Kate O'Hanlon's Reviews > The God Engines

The God Engines by John Scalzi

Nov 20, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction, fantasy
Read on November 21, 2011

It was the cover that caught my eye and just to prove that sometimes you can judge a book by its cover this has more than lived up to my hopes.
I've been looking for a 'way in' to Scalzi for a while and since this book literally had me cooing over it and stroking the spine (shout out to Subterranian Press who took some (very deserved) criticism recently for publishing OSC's Halmet's Ghost, but can be relied on put together damn beautiful books) it seemed as good an entry point as I was ever likely to find.

Sealing my decision I flipped to the first page and the opening line that almost every review has quoted
It was time to whip the god.

Yes, I thought, this is indeed calculated to my interests.

What follows it a tense and violent story centering around Ean Tephe, captain of the spaceship Righteous which is powered by a chained deity in a Gods Need Prayer Badly Universe. The style is a little stilted, I don't think Scalzi has a ton of experience writing fantasy (and spaceships aside, this feels much more fantasy than sf) but at a little over 130 pages the plot zips along nicely toward its horrifying end point.

The illustrations by Vincent Chong, also the cover artist, are very nice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Engines.

11/21/2011 page 17