Liza Wiemer's Reviews > What I Leave Behind

What I Leave Behind by Alison McGhee

3152001

If this isn't on your radar, it should be! This is a remarkable YA novel!

From page one, I was pulled into this beautifully written, uniquely told story. There are 100 written pages with 100 words on each page. Perfect for reluctant readers, this novel will draw you in. Will, our narrator, shares his pain of his dad's suicide, the rape of his best friend, Playa, and the action he takes to cope with this trauma. He walks it off. But during his walks, he gives to others, often in secret. It brings him great joy to make other people's lives better. For a book with few words, it's filled with plenty of fascinating characters. There's a homeless man named Superman, Will's boss, Major Tom, and Mrs. Lin, who owns what Will calls "the blessings store."

I really felt for Will. He has a huge, loving, compassionate heart. This world needs kindness, and this novel spreads it in spades!

Highly recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Leave Behind.

Started Reading
April 29, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 30, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jori (new)

Jori Did you know that each Chinese character shown on the left is the number of the chapter? Counting up from one to one hundred.

Liza Wiemer Jori wrote: "Did you know that each Chinese character shown on the left is the number of the chapter? Counting up from one to one hundred."

I didn’t. Thank you for sharing!