jana marie's Reviews > The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

bookshelves: novels, on-my-shelves, young-adult

This book was so, so beautiful! I loved it so much more than I thought I would, especially since the beginning was a little rocky for me. I thought it was moving really slow and it took me a while to adjust to all the magical realism elements. But when I finally got used to it and the plot started progressing, I was quickly drawn into this magical, whimsical world. The book gave me major Big Fish vibes with its fantastical and magical elements.

Basically, this book is about a girl, Ava Lavender, who was born with wings, and she recounts her family history, starting with her great-grandparents. I don't want to say too much because it's so much better to go into this book blind and just let everything surprise you.

First, let's talk about the plot. As I said before, I thought it started off a bit slow and I almost, almost set it down to pick up a different book, but I'm glad I powered through because after a couple of chapters, I became immersed in the world and the characters' lives. I also enjoyed all the magical elements.

Speaking of characters, I loved the characters (except the bad one), and I was so invested in their relationships, whether it be romance, familial or friendship. Let's talk about the romance for a bit. I really liked the romance. I mean, it wasn't the focal point of the story, which is maybe why I loved it so much, but every relationship featured in the book was so quiet, so realistic and made me feel all the feels. It brought back a little bit of the hopeless romantic in me that I was during high school.

Overall, this book is amazing. It will make you fall in love with love, will break your heart into a million tiny pieces, and make you believe some sort of magic exists somewhere out there in the world. It was a book that I didn't want to end. I wanted to continue reading about Ava Lavender and her family and friends, and all of the strange and beautiful sorrows and joys that will follow them wherever they go.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender.

April 30, 2018 – Started Reading