lp's Reviews > The Year of Living Awkwardly: Sophomore Year

The Year of Living Awkwardly by Emma Chastain

This sharp follow up to CONFESSIONS OF A HIGH SCHOOL DISASTER was so much fun (the pages literally flew by, I had no idea what was happening), the characters are developing beautifully and realistically, and the voices are delicious and perfect.

"I was wearing a striped sweater I thought looked pretty cute, but as soon as I saw Reese, I realized I looked like someone's dorky nephew. She had on gray leather pants with ankle zippers and a sheer white shirt over a black bra with crisscrossing straps. All the pervy dads in the place stared at her when she ran over to us, squealing, to say hi."

Chloe is so much like I was, her experiences are so exact and believable. But the book is way more interesting than any other documented teen experience because Emma Chastain is a genius and she has given Chloe this wicked sense of humor and critical amount of self-awareness, that makes her able to share her teenagerisms in a unique way.

I love how the characters have been CHANGING. The mother has turning into a terrifying villian! The father has been growing in his OWN sweet way. Chloe beautifully stumbles with each step forward.

"Last year I would have ditched my friends and family at the speed of sound. Here was Mac, smiling down at me, his biceps practically ripping open the sleeves of his T-shirt, asking me if I wanted to go hook up with him. But I didn't want to. I had no desire to leave my backyard, which was full of sunshine and freshly cut grass and the smell of grilling meat, to dry-hump Mac on his dirty sheets next to a fish tank full of piranas."

Every single thing Chloe says is a tiny treat...her words and thoughts are never cliche. Each sentence is worthy of a clap or two.

I love it when I get a diary entry like this: "Too upset to write. More tomorrow." Because I immediately get excited that something juicy and fun is coming."

Tiny beautiful details, voices unlike any other voices, a story that is a lot of fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Awkwardly.

Finished Reading