Ashlee » Library In The Country's Reviews > Whispers of Shadow & Flame

Whispers of Shadow & Flame by L. Penelope

I absolutely love L. Penelope’s work and this book really adds to her Earthsinger Chronicles and the incredibly detailed fantasy world she’s created. Fantasy or not, this is a world with realistic emotions, motivations and (steamy) romance.

I’ve been really looking forward to getting to know Darvyn, after his first mention in Song of Blood & Stone, and this book did not disappoint! In addition to his character, we meet new ones Kyara, Zeli, Ulani and Tana. I loved everyone - they’re all incredibly different but each plays a pivotal role in the plot. There’s also a handful of characters with not so benevolent intentions and it’s up to the reader to weed them out as the story progresses. Innocence is shattered, friendships are broken and alliances are forged.

Additionally, this story takes place during the same time as Song of Blood & Stone, therefore we get occasional mention of what Jack & Jasminda (😍) are up to and what’s happening over the border in Elsira. You get the feeling that soon, everyone will have to come together and the story is building toward that point.

I really love these books and cannot wait for more. It left some characters in precarious positions and I’m forever curious to see where L. Penelope will take them next!

Highly recommend these books to ALL fantasy fans. L. Penelope’s writing and storytelling is masterful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers of Shadow & Flame.

April 29, 2018 – Shelved