Jane Stewart's Reviews > Outliers

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Nov 20, 2011

bookshelves: psychology-and-sociology-nonfiction, 5-star-nonfiction

4 ½ stars. I was amazed and surprised at what I learned about what makes people successful. And it’s entertaining.

I wish I had read this years ago when my children were toddlers. I might have changed some things in how I raised them, not a lot of things, but some decisions might have been different. For example, I might have had them do more academic work in the summers, and felt less guilty about it. But aside from parenting, wow, this is fascinating stuff.

The author is a good story teller. He takes an occurrence and analyzes and explains it in an insightful and entertaining way. Most of what he said made sense to me, and I believed him. But I wonder if other experts would have different views. I wonder if there are studies and statistics out there that might say yes this is true in these cases, but it doesn’t apply in all cases. I would have liked seeing arguments on both sides of some of the issues, for example affirmative action at the University of Michigan Law school. He made a statement but he didn’t provide much support for it. On the other hand, too many statistics and opposing views might have made this too dry, less entertaining.

It’s a short book.

Some of the content:

It takes 10,000 hours of practice to become successful at something. It’s not being a genius, it’s practice.

Luck is huge element toward success: when one is born, the influence of parents, and one’s culture.

The best hockey players are born Jan to March. Geniuses born to poor parents do not do well because their parents don’t show them how to present themselves to the world and how to interact with others. In other words, geniuses need some “emotional IQ” to succeed, but the author doesn’t use that term. S. Korean airlines had more crashes than any other airline because of culture. Copilots were afraid to tell pilots about dangerous plane conditions, because it might sound disrespectful.

NARRATOR:
The author narrated this book. His manner and voice were good.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook reading time: 7 hrs and 22 mins. Swearing language: none. Sexual content: none. Book copyright 2008. Genre: psychology and sociology nonfiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.

Started Reading