Echo's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Nov 20, 2011

bookshelves: books-in-12, historicalfiction, miscfiction, mystery, favorites

I don't even know where to shelve this book. A shelf of Awesome?
This was one beautiful piece of literature, and I can understand why it's on the list of books for people who love books. It's sort of like a love song to literature, in part. I mean, there's a Cemetery of Forgotten Books filled with tons and tons of books, carefully hidden away and preserved for someone to find and fall in love with again someday. What bibliophile could read about that place and not want to go there? There is a scene of a first date that takes place that made me absolutely green with envy. Wow. Just wow. But aside from the whole book obsession thing, it's really a wonderful story. The descriptions really bring the setting to life, and I fell in love with the characters. This story will stick with me for a while.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

Quotes Echo Liked

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Once, in my father's bookshop, I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory to which, sooner or later—no matter how many books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn or forget—we will return.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Bea says that the art of reading is slowly dying, that it's an intimate ritual, that a book is a mirror that offers us only what we already carry inside us, that when we read, we do it with all our heart and mind, and great readers are becoming more scarce by the day.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“A story is a letter that the author writes to himself, to tell himself things that he would be unable to discover otherwise.”

November 20, 2011 – Started Reading
November 20, 2011 – Shelved
November 21, 2011 –
page 202
41.48% "I love it, and it's seriously interfering with work on my NaNoWriMo novel. Also, this book as the best first date scene of all time."
December 12, 2011 –