Patty's Reviews > My Life From Scratch

My Life From Scratch by Gesine Bullock-Prado

1020899
”I am searching for my car keys and I look out the kitchen window to see where the moon hangs. If it is just above our first ridge of pine, lighting my path to the barn door, I am making good time. Any hint of daylight and I’m screwed

This is a lovely way of looking at having to get up before the world. I only hope that the author is really referring to one particular early morning, not every time she has to be at her bakery by 5:00 in the morning. The story about the moon can only be true one day out of 28. The moon follows a cycle and you can’t count on moonlight early every time you go to work.

I know I am being picky, but I expect people to pay attention to the world around them. I want my books to be accurate if they are set in this world. So, when I encountered this quote, I almost quit reading this book.

I had already been taken by surprise with this memoir because I didn’t know who Bullock-Prado is and I certainly had no idea that Sandra Bullock is her sister. I picked up this story because it is about food. I enjoyed what Bullock-Prado has to say about baking, her mother and her move to Montpelier, VT. However, I am not conversant with a lot of pop culture. I now know more about Sandra Bullock than I ever needed to know.

All in all, I am glad I read this book, just a bit astonished by how it turned out. Serendipity is a good thing. If you are interested in baking, recipes and the Bullock family, this will be right up your alley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life From Scratch.

April 28, 2018 – Started Reading