Arshad Pooloo's Reviews > Things Fall Apart

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

This is one of those books where you enjoy the story without necessary liking the main character. Onkonkwo is a lot of things but I doubt being "likable" can be considered as one of them. Things Fall Apart is the first book that I have read from an African author so I cannot really compare but I think Achebe did a great job. The rich description and comprehensive narrative are there to make you feel like part of that world, part of that African tribe. You get a taste of what their lives are like, their daily routines, their religions, superstitions and cultures. That is the redeeming quality of the book and why I would recommend it to be read. You will get a better sense of what life could be like or has been like in another part of the world.
Although it might seem like it at first, this is not about a hero. Without giving too much away I would say that this is more or less a book about a very flawed person living in a patriarchal little world of his own with insecurities and ego deeply ingrained within him. An unfortunate event ruptures his daily routine and to add to that, his world is experiencing a phase of transition that he is unable to comprehend and accept. This is a book about a man, who in the end is so insecure and unwilling to accept change, that he finally breaks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things Fall Apart.

April 29, 2018 – Shelved