Elizabeth Bennet's Reviews > Pemberley Ranch

Pemberley Ranch by Jack Caldwell

liked it

I read this book a while back not sure why I never did a review. I found myself with mixed feelings on this one. I loved the authors portrayal of the P&P characters and felt it was imaginative and original. If you are a lover of history this is also a plus for you. The whole book takes place in Texas after the battle between the north and south. Samuel Bennet is new addition to the Bennet clan and is lost in the war.

Elizabeth forms her prejudice of all southerns after this. Pemberley ranch is the biggest spread in the area and situated next to The Longboune spread where the Bennets relocate. The mixed feelings started after several pages of the south rebuilding and moving on after the war and it wasn't my particular taste. You had lynchings and a promise of building a railroad and segregation surrounding a familiar series of events.

I couldn't totally write it off though because it was unique and made me want to see how things would play out. Names are different Lydia is Lily and what a horrible way to learn she had to endure. George Whitehead (Wickham) is teamed up with Denny and Collins. Collins is a wimp, Denny is evil and predatory and Wickham is just as bad. I just wish we would have been told if Lydia ever married. The ending does give us some epilogue. It is almost a completely clean book. Just one spot really. Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pemberley Ranch.

April 28, 2018 – Started Reading