Iris's Reviews > Vicious

Vicious by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: 4-and-a-half-stars, dark-and-stabby, murder, read-in-2018, fantasy-sci-fi-or-something-similar, my-favourites-ish, sci-fi, superheroes, thriller, what-on-earth-did-i-just-read, wow, adult
Recommended for: Fans of morally grey characters and/or cool superpowers.

I really, really liked this book.
I think it was my least favourite Schwab book so far, but I really, really liked it still.

The characters were morally grey and wonderful!

- Victor was dark and murderous and also just a loveable sweetie. His development was A+ and I adored him. A lot. Plus he was a great narrator.

- Eli was dark and murderous and evil, and most certainly NOT a loveable sweetie. At all. I hated him with a fiery passion, but his development was SO GOOD.

- Sydney was smol and scared and precious, and also somewhat badass and amazing! Plus her superpower was the coolest thing!

- Serena was an amazing character! I hated her, but at the same time, I felt a lot of pity for her, and I absolutely ADORED her chapters!

- Mitchell was a big loveable sweetheart, and he deserves the world.

- Plus there was a dog, which makes everything better.

The writing was awesome (I mean, it's Schwab. Of course it was.), and I adored it.

The world building was fantastic! I adored all the different superpowers, and the whole concept behind them was soooo unique. Love. It.

The plot was solid. Nothing more to say there really, but it was good. (I just read this over a month ago and can't remember what the plot WAS, so don't mind me.)

Overall, I adored this book! I just sort felt like something was... lacking. Just a little. I don't know. But still, I loved it, and can I just flail please?

***Initial reaction, June 14, 2018***

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! HOW is that the ending?!?!?! Whatever, at least I won't have to wait five years for the sequel like I would've if I'd read it when it came out. So.
RTC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vicious.

April 27, 2018 – Shelved
April 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 13, 2018 – Started Reading
June 13, 2018 –
page 16
4.35% "Finally reading this!
And AHHHHHHH I'm already IN LOVE!!!!"
page 223
60.6% "Eli is... Really messed up."
page 279
75.82% "This is really good, but I'm just... Not quite feeling it... I think this is definitely my least favourite Schwab book so far...

(Although don't get me wrong, it's still awesome. Just maybe more like four stars, not the five all her other books have got is all.)"
page 289
78.53% ""Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human."

Oh my gosh, I'm dying, Schwab used a quote from One of her own characters at the beginning of This Savage Song!! 😂😍😄

*flails*"
page 341
92.66% "The dog had better not die...

I have a bad feeling that the dog is going to die...

I really hope the dog doesn't die."
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-and-a-half-stars