Debra's Reviews > The Plague

The Plague by Albert Camus

"...that a loveless world is a dead world, and always there comes an hour when one is weary of prisons, of one’s work, and of devotion to duty, and all one craves for is a loved face, the warmth and wonder of a loving heart."

Well this book about human resilience in the face of horror/sickness/plague was WORK for me. I found myself having to read and re-read sections as this book is not just a book but a social, political, philosophical commentary. I found myself thinking "huh? what did the narrator just say? What did he mean?" Plus, there is the question about the identity of the narrator...read to find out!

The book begins as a plague is sweeping Oran, a coastal town in North Africa. First rats then humans begin dying and the town decides to quarantine the town by isolating it from the outside world. Many of the characters are cut off from those they love. The characters in this book range from Dr. Rieux, to vacationers and fugitives. As the townspeople try to survive, the book shows us their resilience, their suffering, their compassion, their banning together, and their thoughts on love and life.

Whew! This was not a book, I was able to dig into and power read. It did take some time as the book is deep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plague.

April 27, 2018 – Shelved
page 100
May 17, 2018 –
page 160
May 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie I have an ARC I keep picking up and putting back down for the same reason. This for me is the biggest appeal to switching to all Kindle these days is the eye strain is a nuisance on so many books and with digital I can adjust to my liking.

message 2: by Shaina (new)

Shaina Oh man. I keep around a pair of those reading glasses you perch of the end of your nose. lol and this very thing makes me want to get one of those magnifier sheets.
I’m glad to know this one needs to be read on a kindle or I’ll have to pull out those reading glasses.

Debra Carrie wrote: "I have an ARC I keep picking up and putting back down for the same reason. This for me is the biggest appeal to switching to all Kindle these days is the eye strain is a nuisance on so many books a..."

I know what you mean! I love my kindle for that reason as well.

Chad I believe you can get it on archive.org

message 5: by Debra (last edited May 11, 2018 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debra Shaina wrote: "Oh man. I keep around a pair of those reading glasses you perch of the end of your nose. lol and this very thing makes me want to get one of those magnifier sheets.
I’m glad to know this one needs..."

I do have a pair of reading glasses which I purchased a few years ago at a book store. I love them! They would come in handy but for the life of me, I can't locate them and I get a headache every time I try to read this book due to the eye strain. I need to find the glasses but in the meantime, I am going to see if my library has an e-book I can download.

Maybe it's also time to get an eye exam. lol

message 6: by Shaina (new)

Shaina Good call! No need to give yourself a headache. You read so much. I too, rely on my kindle a lot. I also love the mode where it turn off the blue light ....

Debra Chad wrote: "I believe you can get it on archive.org"

Thank you so much for the tip! I'm going to check out the site!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen magnifying glass...lol

Debra Jen wrote: "magnifying glass...lol"

I definitely needed it for this one!

message 10: by Ashlie (new) - added it

Ashlie thats why I like my iPad and ebooks

Debra Ashlula Ayse wrote: "thats why I like my iPad and ebooks"

message 12: by Ashlie (new) - added it

Ashlie Debra wrote: "Ashlula Ayse wrote: "thats why I like my iPad and ebooks"

Me too! I love my kindle! But there was a wait list for the ebook through my library. They had the physical book so I checked it out."

I read hardcopies most of the time nevertheless, because I am addicted to old books with yellowed pages and if I catch them as secondhand books with a lovely gift dedication note at first page I can never resist. :) I feel like I am a part of a great family by owning such a book.

message 13: by Shaina (new)

Shaina Wow. Bravo! But you know things now. And yes, I can see it was work. Loved your review of it.

Debra Shaina wrote: "Wow. Bravo! But you know things now. And yes, I can see it was work. Loved your review of it."

Thank you!

message 15: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Great review Debra!

Debra Susanne wrote: "Great review Debra!"

Thank you Susanne!

message 17: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky Sounds interesting, and like something that could very well happen. Thanks for the review.

Debra Joe wrote: "Sounds interesting, and like something that could very well happen. Thanks for the review."

It was good but WORK for me. lol It's a short book so it doesn't take much time to get into.

Mackey Terrific review Debra. I read this eons ago when I was in high school, my first introduction to existentialism and Camus. I then went on a binge, reading his work and all other existentialists. I went a little nuts at the time. ;) Now, have you read, "The Fall?" I think it's his best.

Debra Mackey wrote: "Terrific review Debra. I read this eons ago when I was in high school, my first introduction to existentialism and Camus. I then went on a binge, reading his work and all other existentialists. I w..."

Thank you Mackey! This is the only book I have read by him. I will The Fall to my list!