Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Every Heart a Doorway

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, library, series, young-adult

My digital library hold for this finally became available and I started reading it immediately. And…it was okay I guess. I’m forever falling into the over-hyped book trap and heading in straight first with high expectations, so perhaps I’m to blame.

Disappointment aside, Every Heart a Doorway was quick, charming little read which I felt started off strong. I paced through the introduction. It begins as an enthralling majestic tale about a boarding-school for children who have fallen into magical worlds but have returned to an unwanted reality. In true Wonderland style, they discovered doors all different shapes and sizes that swept them away. However, I started to lose interest. Despite the murders and magical fairyland worlds, the story didn’t execute as well as it could have. Also, there were numerous pointless conversations which didn’t add anything to the story.

I understand that this is a short story, I just wish there could have been more world-building and character development. It has such an intriguing and unique premise and I’m sure it will continue to receive lots of praise! Although it didn’t live up to my admittedly high expectations, I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Heart a Doorway.

April 27, 2018 – Shelved