Lyn Hungerford's Reviews > The Love That I Have

The Love That I Have by James Moloney

U 50x66

I have been a fan of James Maloney since I read The Book Of Lies and this book, The Love that I Have, although a completely different genre did not disappoint.
My only warning would be not to read it in the middle of the night to help go back to sleep. I got so caught up in the story that I read until I’d finished. Luckily holidays allows such luxuries.
Although essentially a holocaust love story, it certainly takes a very different perspective and the power of love in protecting our human spirit; not receiving but giving. I found this simple idea challenging and relevant especially in today’s increasingly disconnected society. Love in our culture is not usually presented this deeply; often it is sexualised and trivialised.
I also enjoyed the challenge to stereotypes with a German guard that was helpful and inmates that were unpleasant. Margot’s family itself shows the full range of attitudes from her mother’s anti-Semitism to her father’s indifference. Even Margot overthrows her own attitudes during the story and then at the end undeservedly finds herself the victim of prejudice at its very worst.
This for me was one of those books that you can’t put down but then miss once you are through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love That I Have.

April 14, 2018 – Started Reading