Emily May's Reviews > Slayer

Slayer by Kiersten White

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-uf, arc, 2018

He's bobbing his head in time to music playing from headphones, and there's a book in his hands. I peer at it.
Nicholas Sparks. Doug really might be evil, then.

So, huh, here's the thing: I don't think I actually expected this to be good.

Yeah, yeah, I posted excited Buffy gifs, and I tweeted Kiersten White like the crazed fangirl I am. But this is Buffy you're messing with here. Buffy truly helped me survive at some of the darkest times of my life. I've watched it over and over and over again. I've met the cast members. I am someone who likes many things, but how many things can I say I'm really a fan of? Um, like, one or two.

This book was a huge deal for me, and I expected that it just couldn't possibly ever sit comfortably up alongside my beloved Buffy. But I have to say it: Kiersten White did a really great job.

I think Slayer is definitely a book for those already pretty well-versed in the Slayer/Hellmouth mythos. It is virtually impossible to explain so many years (and seasons) of backstory without info-dumping throughout the whole book… so White mostly opts to keep it vague, but at the risk of making zero sense to newcomers to the Slayerverse.

I should also mention that this is set after certain events in the comic continuation, too. I wasn't sure I liked this at first because I've always been a little reluctant to view the comics as canon (they're fun fanfic to me, but that's all). Still, somehow, I think it works well here.
"We know it's a demon."
"Right, but it's wearing a fecking Coldplay shirt. How evil can something wearing a Coldplay shirt be?"

White is clearly a hardcore Buffy fan because she absolutely nailed the quirky humour. I snorted out loud (very attractively) multiple times while reading. The characters are adorable, and the author has taken some steps towards correcting the overall lack of diversity in Buffy. Cillian is British-Nigerian, and gay, dating smart and nerdy Rhys. The two of them bring so much warmth and laughter to this book. Artemis and Honora also have a very sexy, tension-filled relationship (I almost wish Artemis had been narrating!).

The actual narrator and newly-appointed Slayer is Artemis's timid sister Athena, or "Nina". Long lurking in her strong sister's shadow, everyone is pretty shocked when Nina is the one chosen. Now hellhounds are appearing left and right, and Nina's worried her mother might be up to something demonic. Occasionally, the narrative is broken up by a mysterious "hunter" perspective, too.

It's not all silliness, though. As true Buffy fans know, lurking under the campy jokes are darker themes about choices and belonging. As Nina comes to realize "Being chosen is easy. Making choices will break your heart." And speaking of hearts breaking:
"The choice was to save the world-- or to save you. And I chose you."

*sobs*

With classic BtVS elements like family drama, moral struggles, pop culture references, and demons aplenty, this is a really enjoyable story. Never has the end of the world been as fun as it is in the Slayerverse. Of course, the ending is suitably dramatic, and concludes with a spectacular reveal that has me dying for the sequel. Romance is suggested for the future, but isn't a huge part of this book.

A really pleasant surprise. Now off to binge-watch Buffy. Again.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slayer.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)

Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨ Anything by Kiersten White is bound to slaughter me in the best possible way. With how bad ass she made Lada, I have no doubt the characters in this Buffy spinoff will be bad and wondrous!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ OH MY GOD EM WHAT IS THIS

Emily May Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ wrote: "OH MY GOD EM WHAT IS THIS"

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Emily May wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ wrote: "OH MY GOD EM WHAT IS THIS"

I KNOW. I totally jumped into the author's twitter mentions and was like "please tell me it's true!" Arrrggghh. This is too much."

I had NO idea she was going to write this! Given how great her other series was, I have high expectations now lmao

message 5: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima What did you think of the excerpt posted at Entertainment weekly? :D It made me even more excited!

mk 🦖 ARCS are on Edelweiss!!

Emily May MK wrote: "ARCS are on Edelweiss!!"

I already requested! Though I'm not that optimistic. A lot of edelweiss titles are only approved to librarians and booksellers :/

Laura I literally just got shivers when I read this.

Emily May Laura wrote: "I literally just got shivers when I read this."

IT'S SO EXCITING. Please, please be good!

message 10: by Hanaa (new) - added it

Hanaa this is truly a gift. Thank you

message 11: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Mcconnell Emily, first you introduce me to Lada and now you introduce me to this. Thank you so much. I have followed you for years and have generally agreed with you. I have loved Buffy since it first came out.

message 12: by K (new) - added it

K D What? How did I miss this in my feed of Ms May's list of interesting stuff I might want to read?!

Books and Coffee Let's just hope this will be in third person.

message 14: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Accurate feels. I need this book!

Valerie Oh, I can't wait to see your review!

message 16: by Bhawna (new) - added it

Bhawna Widhani Can't wait to read your review on this.
Do accept my Friend Request. I know the limit is 5k here but still :P

message 17: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Katerine I never knew I wanted this book.

Kristin Kern Love Buffy, and so excited I just got my copy today!!

message 19: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Jones I honestly didn't expect this to be good either, but now you've got me interested. Which comics do you recommend we've read first? I'm well versed on the show but I've only read a few of the comics. I ca catch up though!!!

Magali Oh wow thanks for putting this on my radar, I've found my read for the weekend !

Magali Oops, it's not out yet... Well, can't wait to read it !

message 22: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin I absolutely loved Buddy and Angel. And I’ve rewatched them a bunch of times too! I got my DVD box sets when they were releasing them in half season parts, so they all take up a lot of space - but I can’t bring myself to part with them, even to buy the complete series in one box.
After reading this review, (and the fact that my middle name is Athina) I may just have to re-enter the slayerverse!

message 23: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I NEED THIS BOOK GODDAMMIT

message 24: by Peggy (new) - added it

Peggy Great review! So glad to see your positive review for this! Now I am even more excited to read the book!! :D

message 25: by Ellen Gail (new) - added it

Ellen Gail I didn't think I could get more excited about this, but I guess I can!

Rachel Reads Ravenously OMG I'm so excited now!!! I love Buffy and you've given me hope! Wonderful review, Emily!

Alex the bookworm Is this a first person type book?

message 28: by Lucie (new) - added it

Lucie YAY! So glad to discover a fellow Buffy fanatic (it makes so much sense now why I relate to so many of your reviews, only a fellow scooby...). Was gutted to miss the Comic con in Wales last week with so many of the cast... Anyway, I guess this is a definite +1 for my tbr, thanks for the review!

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan I think of Buffy the same way - the show has been so important to me! I’ve never read the comic books, though. Will it matter when reading this?

message 30: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte I got an ARC for this, and I am just buzzing to get to it! So excited to hear good things about it already :)

Emily May Alexis Cygiel wrote: "Is this a first person type book?"

Yes; it is written in first person.

Emily May Lucie wrote: "YAY! So glad to discover a fellow Buffy fanatic (it makes so much sense now why I relate to so many of your reviews, only a fellow scooby...). Was gutted to miss the Comic con in Wales last week wi..."

Comic Con is the best for stalking meeting the Buffy stars! Hope you make it to another one :) and enjoy the book!

Emily May Megan wrote: "I think of Buffy the same way - the show has been so important to me! I’ve never read the comic books, though. Will it matter when reading this?"

It would help if you at least read season 8. White does give some background info, but I feel like she assumes you know the comic book events surrounding the Seed of Wonder.

message 34: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Can you suggest a good place to start reading if you want to get sufficient background for the Slayerverse? I grew up with Buffy and find this intriguing.

message 35: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie OH MY.

Katie I'm so glad to hear you loved it! I've been eagerly anticipating!

message 37: by Mai (new)

Mai Great review, can't wait to read it! I was just wondering if you could tell me what you mean when you label a book frankie-riley ? :-)

message 38: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Hey, thanks for the review. I've watched all episodes of Buffy but only some of Angel and haven't read any of the comics. Would I be lost? Or would a quick wikipedia read-through of the comic storylines be enough since I've watched the show?

Emily May Mai wrote: "Great review, can't wait to read it! I was just wondering if you could tell me what you mean when you label a book frankie-riley ? :-)"

Thank you. Frankie & Riley are my sons; they are books I've either read with them or want to read with them :)

Emily May Andrea wrote: "Hey, thanks for the review. I've watched all episodes of Buffy but only some of Angel and haven't read any of the comics. Would I be lost? Or would a quick wikipedia read-through of the comic story..."

You don't need to know Angel, but knowing what happens in the comics will help a lot. And yes, doing a quick read-through of the major plot points would probably do just fine :)

message 41: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Emily May wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Hey, thanks for the review. I've watched all episodes of Buffy but only some of Angel and haven't read any of the comics. Would I be lost? Or would a quick wikipedia read-through of ..."

Thank you very much! :)

message 42: by Peggy (new) - added it

Peggy You always have the best reviews! I can not wait to read this book! You're a great critic! :D

message 43: by Mai (new)

Mai Emily May wrote: "Mai wrote: "Great review, can't wait to read it! I was just wondering if you could tell me what you mean when you label a book frankie-riley ? :-)"

Thank you. Frankie & Riley are my sons; they are..."

Oh okay, thank you for letting me know! I always consider your review when I pick my next book, and the Frankie-Riley shelf had me confused ;-)

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I have a similar relationship with Buffy, have watched it countless times and if I'm feeling down OMWF can usually pick me right up. And now I have to say I kind of want to read this.. But, I could never get into the comics (I generally find that comics/graphic novels based on shows or books I like don't really do it for me - it's that almost but not quite feeling) - will this still be enjoyable/make sense?

Emily May Sarah wrote: "I have a similar relationship with Buffy, have watched it countless times and if I'm feeling down OMWF can usually pick me right up. And now I have to say I kind of want to read this.. But, I could..."

It's hard to say for sure. I can tell you that the comics are not really my thing, either. I read them more out of curiosity but have never considered them a true part of the Buffyverse... and yet, I still liked this book. Maybe just read a brief overview of the basic plot points in the comics - you especially want to read up on the seed of wonder - and then try this book. I hope you enjoy it.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Emily May wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I have a similar relationship with Buffy, have watched it countless times and if I'm feeling down OMWF can usually pick me right up. And now I have to say I kind of want to read this...."

Alright, thanks Emily! I think I will give it a try. :-)

message 47: by Kai (new)

Kai Sorry what is buffy? And what is this book about? It is not clear from your review.

message 48: by K (last edited Dec 12, 2018 04:05AM) (new) - added it

K D Kai wrote: "Sorry what is buffy? And what is this book about? It is not clear from your review."

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A movie, A 7 season TV show. A comic continuation.

Into every generation a Slayer is born: : one girl in all the world, a chosen one.
AKA
She who hangs out in cemeteries

message 49: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Jones K wrote: "Kai wrote: "Sorry what is buffy? And what is this book about? It is not clear from your review."

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A movie, A 7 season TV show. A comic continuation.

Into every generatio..."

shhhh don't talk about the movie. The movie didn't happen.

Emily May "Slay-er. Chosen One. She who hangs out a lot in cemeteries. You're kidding me! Ask around. Look it up. Slayer, comma, The."

LOL. As others said, it's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If you've never heard of it, this book isn't for you :)

« previous 1