Melanie's Reviews > Sweet Home Highlander

Sweet Home Highlander by Amalie Howard

bookshelves: historical-romance, netgalley

Sweet Home Highlander was a very enjoyable read and a great start to the Tartans and Titans series, a spin-off of the Lords of Essex series.

Lady Aisla Montgomery is happy with the life she’s made for herself in Paris, so long as her husband, Niall Stuart Maclaren, remains in Scotland. However, after six years she must travel to Scotland to seek a divorce, meaning she will be forced to face the life and man she fled. Niall is shocked to find Aisla has returned and even more so when she asks for a divorce. Niall agrees to give her what she wants, but first he wants one week for every year she was gone.

Aisla grew from a woman unsure of herself into one who knows exactly what she wants and how to go about getting it. Aisla no longer allows anyone to push her around or try and talk her into doing something she doesn’t want to do. I admired her willingness to do anything to help a friend in need even if I felt she held onto her promise longer than necessary when it became clear she shouldn’t keep it.

Niall is the most changed character from who he was six years ago when he drank too much and never put forth any effort to do anything with his life. After giving up drinking, he bought a parcel of land and with the mines on the property, he is making something of himself when so many thought he wouldn’t amount to anything. I enjoyed the inventions he created to help make up for his injury and liked the clever side of himself that so many never got to see.

Aisla and Niall’s relationship perfectly combined two of my favorite romance tropes, hate to love and second chance romance. In their youth, Aisla and Niall were caught up in their whirlwind romance which likely led to them marrying too early in life. Aisla didn’t know yet how to stand up for herself and Niall wasn’t sure how to break free of the limitations his clan placed on him. Also at that time the two didn’t communicate well which led to a number of issues between them. After six years apart, I feel like Aisla and Niall were perfect for each other as the more mature versions of themselves. Plus, they have great chemistry, fantastic banter, and the sexual tension was off the charts.

Throughout the story several characters from the authors’ previous series are mentioned with a few of them showing up here and there. It was nice hearing about some of the previous characters and getting a glimpse of their lives although reading the other series is not necessary for reading this one.

Sweet Home Highlander was a ton of fun to read and I’m looking forward to future books from this author duo as they’ve yet to disappoint.

**I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Home Highlander.