Lea's Reviews > Crescendo

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Let me start off by saying that I loved Hush, Hush. Like I couldn't even believe how much I enjoyed it, because it isn't the typical kind of book that I fall in love with. I was definitely hooked by the end, so I had to read the second. But Crescendo? Well, I was not quite as big a fan.

The main reason that Crescendo was sort of (really) difficult to get through was because I didn't like the characters nearly as much as I had in the first book-- especially Patch. Also, I didn't think that the plot was paced well at all. About 90% of the action and explanation for what was going on took place within the last 2-3 chapters of the book, and the other 300 pages were basically a bunch of angsty, drama-filled fluff, full of Nora running around aimlessly in circles and making stupid decisions. By the end, I was left more confused as to what was going on than I was at the beginning!

Crescendo basically picks up where Hush, Hush left off. Nora now has a super-sexy personal guardian angel who also happens to be her boyfriend and things are going great until Nora's arch-nemesis Marcie Millar steps into the picture. Around this time, Nora also realizes that someone is possibly trying to kill her, but she's not sure who. Soon she has no idea whom she can and can't trust anymore, while the story behind her dad's death comes back to haunt her.

As I said, I really couldn't stand any of the characters in this book-- and Patch was at the top of my poop list. First, he starts hanging around with Marcie, completely ignoring Nora and treating her like she's five years old. I mean granted, half the time she does act like she's five years old, but still! He remains cold and aloof, keeping her in the dark about pretty much everything and acting like an ass the rest of the time for no apparent reason-- jeez, no wonder the girl was going crazy running around in circles for 400 pages! But then Nora also drove me insane-- it's like she was destined to do everything in the very dumbest way possible. Like, give her the pick of what to do next, and guaranteed she picked the very worst option every freaking time. This got to be extremely annoying.

Then, enter the new character, Scott Parnell. I wasn't much a fan of Scott either, as he was kind of a jerk and definitely a creeper. By the end of the book we do have some important information revealed about Scott, which sort of redeems him, but he still wasn't a very likable character in my opinion. Which is too bad, because with all the annoying behavior coming from Patch and Nora, it would have been refreshing to have a likable new character enter the scene.

And man oh man, then there was the ending. Really? I mean, really?? Here are just a few things that I couldn't stand about the ending, without giving too much away:

- At a certain point, a certain someone is physically grabbing Nora and dragging her away with him. Now, both of them are out in public in the middle of an amusement park. Nora is screaming for someone to help her. They are in a CROWD of people. And no one does anything! Like, the whole time they're arguing and Nora is telling him repeatedly to leave her alone, and she's crying out for help and NO ONE moves. Somebody actually laughs. What?! The girl is being physically assaulted!! And no one does anything?? I'm sorry, but this is so freaking unrealistic. In real life somebody would have come to her rescue! I'm sorry, but you can't conveniently leave a big plot hole like that just to move on to the next part of the story and expect me to overlook it or forget about it.

- After about 300 pages of aimless and unexplained plot, we have the classic case of the Big Bad Guy standing around with a long-winded, point by point explanation of who did what and how it was all done. In like, 2 pages, we get a blow-by-blow that gives you a freaking headache by the time it's done. I HATE when books end like this-- it's so cheesy and not at all believable, not to mention it makes my brain feel like it's about to explode from the information overload. Also, the villain ceases to be remotely scary or intimidating when he's sitting there explaining in excessive detail all his genius plans-- especially when his success or failure hinges on bumping off the main character as soon as possible! He's not going to spend 20 minutes explaining how he did everything! ARGH!!

- Going back to that last point, I have to reiterate just how much I dislike having to read through an entire book, aimlessly following the main character who uselessly runs around trying to figure things out with hardly any explanation for what is going on, and then having a ton of information dumped on me in the last 30 pages. I was royally confused. I still don't completely understand the connection between the Archangels, the Fallen Angels and the Nephilim, or who is good or bad, or what exactly happened between Nora's dad and Hank Millar, or what the heck was going on between Patch and Marcie (WHY didn't Nora read the dang diary?!), or what exactly the Black Hand's motive is... The plot holes and loose ends had me positively reeling.

- What reward do we get after slogging our way through over 400 agonizing pages of drama, angst, stupid choices, unanswered questions and confusing plot? A freaking cliff-hanger. Thank you, Becca. Thank you oh so much.

- The fallen angels built the amusement park. HUH??? Why people? Just why??

So anyways, overall I guess you could say I didn't like this sequel nearly as much as I liked Hush, Hush. The reason that I ended up giving it three stars instead of less is because overall I still like the story-- if Cresendo was a stand alone book however, it would not have gotten such a generous rating. I am still planning on reading Silence, since I've heard from other readers that the third book is much better than the second. I really want to see this series get better. And even though Crescendo was pretty much a flop for me, I still feel invested enough in the story at this point to continue with it. My fingers are crossed!

Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crescendo.

November 19, 2011 – Shelved
November 30, 2011 – Shelved as: lazy-writing
November 30, 2011 – Shelved as: made-me-want-to-punch-something
November 30, 2011 – Shelved as: meh
November 30, 2011 – Shelved as: paranormal-romance

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Kelly I'm reading this now, and where I didn't share your love for Hush, Hush, I'm really concerned I might not get through this one! A lot of what you complained about here, I complained about in Hush, Hush. I heard the series got better which is why I decided to pick up a copy of Crescendo...and it doesn't hurt that I have a soft spot for Patch - which makes me not want to read this at all if he's a big dink the whole time!!

Great review! Here's hoping I can get through it!

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Spot on review. I liked the first book, in a very familiar ya-fantasy-romance kind of way, but this one never felt right. Too much telling and, like you said, the pacing was very disjointed and rushed towards the end.

message 3: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea Kelly wrote: "I'm reading this now, and where I didn't share your love for Hush, Hush, I'm really concerned I might not get through this one! A lot of what you complained about here, I complained about in Hush, ..."

Kelly, I've heard that the third book is a lot better, and then I've also heard some people say that they actually liked Crescendo better than Hush, Hush so maybe it's just a matter of personal preference! I was so surprised I started liking this series at all haha :) Give it a shot, I hope you can get through it!

message 4: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea Samantha wrote: "Spot on review. I liked the first book, in a very familiar ya-fantasy-romance kind of way, but this one never felt right. Too much telling and, like you said, the pacing was very disjointed and rus..."

Yep, it was sort of a disappointment, although I was kind of expecting it because I had heard from other people that they didn't like it as much as the first book... Did you get to Silence?

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Lea wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Spot on review. I liked the first book, in a very familiar ya-fantasy-romance kind of way, but this one never felt right. Too much telling and, like you said, the pacing was very d..."

Nope, not yet. I think I'll borrow it from the library rather than buy it. Hopefully, Nora might get a little more kick-ass and a little less whiny...

message 6: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea Samantha wrote: "Lea wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Spot on review. I liked the first book, in a very familiar ya-fantasy-romance kind of way, but this one never felt right. Too much telling and, like you said, the pacin..."

Ugh I totally agree! Lucky for me, I get most of my books from the library, so I don't feel quite as jipped :/