Barbara (VampAngel)'s Reviews > Ashfall

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

3902029
Nov 19, 2011

Read from July 02 to 03, 2012

After thinking about it and reading Ashen Winter, I think this book deserves 4 stars for sure. I'd probably give them both 5 stars a week ago, but since I've read The Fault in Ours Stars by John Green I cannot give any other book 5 stars now. But I'm a Mike Mullin fan for sure. Well done, sir!

I'm not gonna write a review for it. Phoebe North already wrote the perfect one here:

I'm just gonna add my favorite quote in the whole book, which incidentally is also mentioned on Phoebe's great review:

“The most important part of seeing Darla every night wasn’t the fooling around. It was the few minutes we talked while holding each other, the feeling of security I got with her, the feeling of being understood and loved. Before the eruption, I wouldn’t have believed that I could cuddle up every night with the girl who starred in my dreams and not be totally preoccupied with sex. But the trek across Iowa had changed something. I wanted, needed to see her so badly that it woke me up at night. But making out was incidental to my need–nice when it happened, but secondary to the simple pleasure of sleeping beside her."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashfall.

Quotes Barbara (VampAngel) Liked

Mike Mullin
“Hunger of choice is a painful luxury; hunger of necessity is terrifying torture.”

Mike Mullin
“For the first time ever, I felt ashamed of my species. The volcano had taken our homes, our food, our automobiles, and our airplanes, but it hadn't taken our humanity. No, we'd given that up on our own.”

Mike Mullin
“Condoms instantly shot to the number-one position on my mental list of must-find survival supplies, far ahead of food, water, and a way across the Mississippi River.”

Mike Mullin
“A librarian can’t live by books alone, and I wouldn’t eat them if I could. Feel too much like cannibalism.”

Mike Mullin
“I didn't care much for being called stupid and softhearted. But the boyfriend bit I could live with.”

Mike Mullin
“I wanted, needed to see her so badly that it woke me up at night.”

Mike Mullin
“The most important part of seeing Darla every night wasn’t the fooling around. It was the few minutes we talked while holding each other, the feeling of security I got with her, the feeling of being understood and loved. Before the eruption, I wouldn’t have believed that I could cuddle up every night with the girl who starred in my dreams and not be totally preoccupied with sex. But the trek across Iowa had changed something. I wanted, needed to see her so badly that it woke me up at night. But making out was incidental to my need – nice when it happened, but secondary to the simple pleasure of sleeping beside her.”

07/02/2012
19.0% "The first thing I always realize when reading a dystopian novel or watching a disaster movie is that I'd be the first to die. I'm just too lazy and not athletic. Plus, I've been a smoker for the last 20 years. I think I'd just curl into a ball and wait for death to come. As much as I wish I was brave, I'm just not. Sadly."
07/02/2012
31.0% "Darla finally showed up. I'm enjoying it, but I hope it picks up. I kinda need more excitement."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Very nice, VA!

message 2: by Barbara (VampAngel) (last edited Jul 04, 2012 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara (VampAngel) Thanks, although I didn't really review the book. I did a long review for Ashen Winter though. I thought it was a better book and I ranted about the characters, which kind of encompassed the first book too. It's almost like a series review.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Yes, very good! I will comment on that review as well, but will probably just skim it for now since I haven't read the book yet.:)

Good to know that you really enjoyed Ashen Winter! I expect to have the same reaction when I get my hands on it.:D