Clay Nichols's Reviews > 61 Hours

61 Hours by Lee Child

Nov 19, 2011

I previously came across the character Jack Reacher in Lee Child's One Shot which I felt like it was a fun and well constructed thriller, but there was little suspense because the protagonist was such an indestructible, super-human, justice seeking cyborg. As a result, I was a little slow in returning to this franchise.

In 61 Hours, Reacher has been humanized a bit -- he's still a tower of power, but there are a few hints of human weakness that make him more appealing. He's vulnerable in the frozen plains of South Dakota, sometimes puzzled by the curious cops and citizens he finds there. We don't linger long with these country folk because there's a 61 Hour Countdown Clock Driving the Plot Forward. (I got a little annoyed with that convention around hour 35.)

Powerful and malevolent forces converge around a small building with a murky past on the outskirts of town. Drug lords are stirring in Mexico. Jack reaches out to old friends in the army for help and encounters a very persuasive voice of reason. It all clicks and whirrs and buzzes steadily along to a satisfying and genuinely surprising finish.

I enjoyed this installment enough that I've added a past book into my Wish List. I'll see Reacher again, I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 61 Hours.

November 19, 2011 – Started Reading