Kirstie's Reviews > The Stone Key

The Stone Key by Isobelle Carmody

This was exciting for me, because though I read the first two books many many times and book three quite a few and book four just once, this was my very first time reading this book. (I rage quit several series around this time with the intent of waiting until they were completed before reading them all at last).

As always Elspeth seems to just jump out of the fry pan and into the fire over and over again and just when you think there's no hope, a miracle happens that makes perfect sense.

She does a fair bit of globe-trotting in this volume, with a new parts of the Land she's never been to, Sador, and taking us at long last to the mysterious Herder Isle. The world building as always is stunning.

The character of Miryum was sort of written off in this book, after her dramatic events in the previous volume I was eager to see what happened next, and then there a literal throw away line which amounted to "psssh, she probly dead yo". I'm hoping it's a misdirect, because it was really dissatisfying.

I'm also starting to get a little exhasperated with things that feel obvious to me that Elspeth tries to explain herself away from what feel to me the logical path. Luckily this doesn't happen too often, and the sheer quality of the rest of the book makes up for it.

Plenty of twists and turns and of course, yet more new characters. Ready for the next volume - lucky I have it ready to go now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Key.

March 23, 2013 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
April 4, 2018 – Started Reading