Isaac's Reviews > Horus Rising

Horus Rising by Dan Abnett

Nov 19, 2011

bookshelves: media-tie-ins
Read from February 13 to 25, 2012

When I read Triumff last year as my first Abnett book, I had no idea how such a wordy writing style and light-hearted tone could transfer to something so grim and militaristic as the Warhammer world.
The answer has turned out to be that both the humour and the erudite lexicon are both on display in the 40k setting but somehow it all works quite well.

The 3 sections of the novel deal with the main characters'fleet and their interactions with 3 distinct foreign/alien planets in an episodic manour. Kind of like 3 Star Trek episodes really but with a real sense of a wider story arc being slowly revealed.

The first two chapters were confusing for me because I thought I was actually witnessing the end of the entire series from the mere first page! Luckily there is a reason for this, as this is definitely the first installment in a series after all.

Overall, a great read. Once I got used to some of the 40k terms and had my dictionary app at the ready for Abnett's Oxford grad word choices I had good fun with this Military Sci-fi with hints of complex characterisation to come in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horus Rising.

02/15/2012 page 86