Nancy's Reviews > I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read April 25, 2018 to May 3, 2018.

I don't get scared easily, for I read a lot of horror books and gory graphic novels, but this book made me check my locks and windows before going to bed. Michelle McNamara wrote an extremely well researched book about the man who raped dozens of woman and killed many of them plus some of their partners between 1976-1986. Fictional pyschos are imaginary, but the Golden State Killer was very real. That he terrorized parts of California for a decade and got away with it is horrifying. Due in great part to this non-fiction book and the renewed interest in the case, police were able to crack the case in April 2018 using new technology not available to them earlier. While I hope Joseph James DeAngelo's arrest will bring some peace to his surviving victims and their families, it is a shame that McNamara did not live to see her research help crack the case. I heard that her co-author Billy Jensen and researcher Paul Haynes will be adding a new chapter to future paperback editions to reflect DeAngelo's arrest and new findings on the case. I will definitely read an updated version of what is sure to become a classic true-crime novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be Gone in the Dark.

Finished Reading