Daphne's Reviews > A Tale for the Time Being

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki

bookshelves: readathon18

#readathon18 Ένα βιβλίο που ο πρωταγωνιστής είναι συγγραφέας

I've been wanting to read this for a long time and it was so much better than I could have expected. A beautiful book, so human and heartfelt. The two stories and various timelines work so well together, I was equally interested in all the characters. The bits in Japan and the historical aspects with the war and Buddhist temple were incredible, as were the stories or Ruth and Oliver and their struggles with their respective work and life on the island. A deeply comforting read, I wanted to hug my kindle as I was reading and I think about it a lot since I finished it. Well worth diving into and a book that will stay with me for a long time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale for the Time Being.

Quotes Daphne Liked

Ruth Ozeki
“Print is predictable and impersonal, conveying information in a mechanical transaction with the reader’s eye.

Handwriting, by contrast, resists the eye, reveals its meaning slowly, and is as intimate as skin.”
Ruth Ozeki, A Tale for the Time Being: A Novel

Ruth Ozeki
“Jiko: "Surfer, wave, same thing."

"That's just stupid, " I said. " A surfer's a person. A wave is a wave. How can they be the same?"

Jiko looked out across the ocean to where the water met the sky. "A wave is born from deep conditions of the ocean. A person is born from deep conditions of the world. A person pokes up from the world and rolls along like a wave, until it is time to sink down again. Up, down. Person, wave.”
Ruth Ozeki, A Tale for the Time Being: A Novel

August 7, 2015 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
August 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
November 12, 2015 – Shelved as: wishlist (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading