Navessa's Reviews > The Duchess Deal

The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare

bookshelves: 2018-favorites, 2018, historical-romance, humor
Read 3 times. Last read March 7, 2019.

“I like to know the names of the people I despise. I keep them in a little book and pore over it from time to time, whilst sipping brandy and indulging in throaty, ominous laughter.”

HAHAHAHA. So here for this male lead and his dry, whip-sharp sense of humor. I laughed my way through this entire book.

Tessa Dare is quickly becoming my go-to historical romance author. Her novels are always so full of humor and chemistry and feminism. In this one, there’s even a line that ties in to current events:

“She was warned. Given every explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.”

Girl power. Yes, queen.

I follow her on Twitter, and I love how unapologetic she is about her political beliefs, how she often engages in discourse on representation and diversity in literature. In The Duchess Deal, I can tell that she stands by what she says on there, how she strives to include more diversity in her own works.

Popular historical fiction, in my experience, is decidedly lacking in characters of color, and that really needs to change. Regency London was much more of a melting pot than a lot of these novels would have you believe. I hope Dare continues to include more and more people of color and LGBTQ+ rep in future novels, and not just as side characters.

A thing you should also know about this book: it had a lot of common historical romance tropes and themes in it. Which I love. Which is why my ratings for these books should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, if you like your HRs filled with chemistry, redemption arcs, and non-stop laugh out loud moments, give this one a try.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess Deal.

Finished Reading
April 24, 2018 – Started Reading
April 25, 2018 – Shelved
April 25, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 7, 2019 – Started Reading
March 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Robin (Bridge Four) I loved this book. Beauty and the Beast retelling are totally a favorite of mine and this one was a ton of fun.

Navessa SO MUCH FUN.

Mada Linx I’m so, so happy to have you as my friend on GR. Thanks to you, I can read really funny reviews and even better, find amazing books.😊

Navessa Aw, thank you, Mada! *hugs*